Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,942   Online: 793

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Director's Finder / Viewfinder to Preview Pics

Does anyone here use a director's viewfinder to preview before shooting? These are the types that have adjustable aspect ratio and zoom. I'd like one that I can add a W/A adapter to and I want a nice bright/big eyepiece but I don't want to spend a fortune.

Any experiences and/or advice? Brands/models/sources/prices?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fotoman camera used to (still does?) sell a very nice view finder with masks for varios farmats. They sold many different pano fomat cameras and so, would certainly have a finder for the format / lens combo you're using.

I'm just not really confident that they are still in business.

Their finders were very nice though....and didn't cost a fortune either.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've used the two different Linhof finders (there are actually more than two, but there are two general types) and had one for 6x17cm that I think was made by Gaoersi, and I once had the Voigtländer Kontur finder for normal lenses with either 35mm or 6x9cm. They're handy things. I've often used the Linhof finder for setting up a shot or selecting a lens before setting up the camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    most finders ive tried for framing cause too much distortion to be useful.
    When I am using a 4x5, I like to carry a medium-format 6x7 slide mount in my pocket.
    I whip it out and use it to use for framing.
    Some people attach a string to it marked so you can hold it at diferent distances for different focal lengths.
    If 6x7 is too small, you can also use a mat board cut to whatever size you desire.

You can also use a 35mm SLR or a digicam.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The horseman finder is a gem. Unfortunately not made anymore. Got mine from midwest photo for $350. They usually have a few in stock.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use a current model Technika finder which has a 4x5 and a 6x9 mask. Focal lengths from 75mm to 360mm. It's near me 24/7 and a great tool..Evan Clarke

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin