Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,000   Online: 831

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens hoods

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think it's pretty clear that Ian understands the question, even if it's stated imprecisely.

Try it, and it might work, but it might vignette if you use movements. If your groundglass has clipped corners, you can look through them and if you see the lens shade with movements applied and at the shooting aperture, then you'll have vignetting. If you don't have a clipped groundglass, look through the lens and see if you can see the corners of the groundglass, and that will tell you as well.

The best hood option with a view camera is a compendium hood, but if you don't have or can't afford that option, you might look for a three-position rubber zoom shade, like the ones made by Hama.

I think Robert Zeichner posted a good design for a barn door shade over on lfphoto.info a while back, which would be better than a three-position rubber hood. I sometimes use a 3" gel holder with spring clips and two barn doors (not as good as 4, but better than nothing) made by Voss that works well with lenses that don't have (currently) common sized filter threads.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do the same as Jesper. However, I have to admit to getting my shadow in the print recently.

Mike

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    He wants to know if a lens hood for a 50mm Nikon SLR is OK on his 150mm Nikkor-W (5x4) lens without vignetting, that's unlikely if he uses any movements.

Ian
    A lens hood, designed for a 50mm lens will work on a 150mm lens without vignetting, but it may not provide adequate protections, because the 50mm lens has a much wider angle of view. The 50mm lens hood will allow light to fall onto the 150mm lens, which a properly designed 150mm lens hood would block off. Camera movements have no impact to vignetting due to lens hoods, because the lens hood moves with the lens.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I think it's pretty clear that Ian understands the question, even if it's stated imprecisely...
    Yes, I think we know what the OP means now: 50mm lens hood on a 150mm lens.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    ...Try it, and it might work, but it might vignette if you use movements...
    Why would it? The hood moves with the lens when camera movements are used! Also, a 50mm lens hood allows for a much wider angle of view than the 150mm lens has!

Vignetting is not the issue here, bright light falling onto the lens is.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are still neglecting the difference in format, so your comments are totally incorrect

A Nikkor f1.8 50mm lens on a 35mm camera has an angle of coverage (diagonal) of 46° Nikons own figure, while they state the coverage of the Nikkor-W f5.6 150mm to be 60° at full aperture and 70° at f22.

That's rather at odds with your comment and in fact the total opposite, it's why I use a lens hood designed for a 28mm SMC Pentax Takumar (35mm camera) on my 150mm Sironar and it's an excellent combination.

So in view of the figures I think the OP should really look for a wider lens hood. The 150mm Nikkor W is closer in equivalence to a 38-40mm lens on a 35mm camera, the actual picture area is more like 52° compared to the 46° of a 50mm standard on 35mm.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 01-23-2010 at 10:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aren't angle of view & angle of coverage on opposite sides of the lens? Front/back
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bet Krzys thought he was asking a simple question!

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The angle of view is what you capture with the camera, the angle of coverage is what the lens is capable of.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You are still neglecting the difference in format, so your comments are totally incorrect

A Nikkor f1.8 50mm lens on a 35mm camera has an angle of coverage (diagonal) of 46° Nikons own figure, while they state the coverage of the Nikkor-W f5.6 150mm to be 60° at full aperture and 70° at f22.

That's rather at odds with your comment and in fact the total opposite, it's why I use a lens hood designed for a 28mm SMC Pentax Takumar (35mm camera) on my 150mm Sironar and it's an excellent combination.

So in view of the figures I think the OP should really look for a wider lens hood. The 150mm Nikkor W is closer in equivalence to a 38-40mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Ian

Ian

My fault, you are correct. I recently had my brain serviced, and I don't think they put it back together right. The equation, posted by myself earlier proves your point too.

Nevertheless, you and David said that camera movements were an issue. Why do you think that? The hood is moving with the camera. Either the hood is in the way or it isn't. Camera movements should have nothing to do with it.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Ian

My fault, you are correct. I recently had my brain serviced, and I don't think they put it back together right. The equation, posted by myself earlier proves your point too.

Nevertheless, you and David said that camera movements were an issue. Why do you think that? The hood is moving with the camera. Either the hood is in the way or it isn't. Camera movements should have nothing to do with it.
    It's those German brain surgeons Ralph

As the lens is shifted (up, down, left or right)you are using light from a more oblique angle, almost as if using a much wider angle lens, so the edges of the lens hood on that are furthest from off centre is likely to vignette.

In Krzys case that would probably happen rather quickly with his 50mm lens hood on the 150mm assuming it's not vignetting without movements.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin