Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,458   Online: 1131

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images
    Okay, drew up preliminary plans for 7x17 and realized that that sucker is pretty big. I'm a visual learner. It is quite doable, and to tell you the truth it does not seem to be that hard. On a down side the expense of running the camera are going to be a pain in the wallet. This will have to fall onto the back burner. I am still looking for that long skinny view though.

Here is the question. Do any of you shoot 4x10? If so how do you like it? Are the contact prints of a viewable size? Last of all, have any of you shot color film in this format?

Looking at the cheap older 8x10's on the net makes this seem really doable.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I occasionally shoot 4x10" by using a half-darkslide mask on my 8x10". A 4x10" seems like something that could be framed and put on a bookshelf or held in the hand, while a 7x17" seems like something that could be framed and displayed on a wall, and 8x20" feels like something that could be displayed on a wall in a large room.

If you want to get a feel for 4x10", try shooting panoramic with an APS camera. My father-in-law has one of those and just loves to shoot panoramic, and the drugstore prints are usually 4x10".
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mark,

I've shot 4x10 in Black and white. I contact printed in both Silver and Platinum materials. I never did try color with the format. I've exhibited and sold contact prints in this format in the past.

I mostly shot the format when I could only get 12x20 film for my 8x20 camera. I didn't want to waste the rest of the film that was cut off. I really haven't shot 4x10 in the last couple of years since the 8x20 cut film was available.

I modified a few older 8x10 holders to hold the 4x10 sheet in the middle of an 8x10 holder.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not just use 4x5 with a cut darkslide, then enlarge to your heart's content? This is only slightly more than a threefold enlargement. If money is a consideration, why are you toying with 7x17? The new enlarging head for azo would make enlarging very possible and much cheaper than the camera, film, holders, etc.

Images
    no darkroom, no place to put a darkroom, no access to a darkroom. I want negs that can also be used for alt processes.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For years I shot 4x10 using a cut darkslide and pencil marks on the ground glass. Then I realized what the slots along the edges of the camera back were for. Strips of black wood slide in these grooves to mask 4x10 (or 5x8, vertically). Using the masking strips is much easier, as composition and masking are done in one step, and you only need the regulation 8x10 darkslide.
    As for size. I am a long-time 8x10 (4x10) user who just got back from an extensive shoot in the Southwest. Film burned:
    11x14: 55
    4x5 Readyload: 30
    8x10: 0
    Big negatives rule. (but, standing on the edge of 500 foot drops on windy cliffs edges requires smaller negatives, which can be enlarged).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge
    For years I shot 4x10 using a cut darkslide and pencil marks on the ground glass. Then I realized what the slots along the edges of the camera back were for. Strips of black wood slide in these grooves to mask 4x10 (or 5x8, vertically
    What type of camera was this for? My 8x10 Agfa had a 4x10 picece of wood in the carrying case that came with it. I wondered what this was for but just put it back in the case.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Deardorffs often have those wooden masks. They were designed to let you do portraits four poses to a sheet as well as banquet/pano formats.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    David is right, and my camera is indeed a Deardorff, but the slots exist on my Kodak 2D, and I have seen them in B&J and Korona. My Deardorff has a thin strip of spring steel inside one vertical and one horizontal slot. This tensions the wooden strip which has a short tenon on one end and a longer tenon on the other to slide in and out of the slots. I'm sure any carpenter could make a wooden piece for you. Paint it flat black like the originals and be certain it is just tight enough in the slots that it will stay in the "up" or "down" position.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    After reading this thread last night, I checked my 8x10 Agfa and it has the strip of steel springs around the inside of the back. The 4x10 slot fits inside the spring loaded groove. I've been wondering how to use the 4x10 strip since I got the camera about 4 months ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin