Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,964   Online: 1083

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    To put it another way, with a 135 lens on 4x5, bellows distance doesn't begin to matter until you get closer than about 3 - 4 feet from your subject. At 3 feet, it's about 1/2 stop.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

I've been running around all day so haven't had a chance to go over the Crown Graphic again with advice in hand, but I'll try to do so tomorrow.

As a quick note -- I do know how to calculate for bellows extension, my question was -- is it necessary with these kinds of cameras? It seems strange that press photographers would worry about something like that while shooting on the fly (or maybe they just depended on the latitude of the film?), and the bellows doesn't seems to extend a lot compared to standard LF cameras, so i was just curious. I guess my problem is worrying too much about a problem rather than just testing it (!) and knowing for certain. I do appreciate all the answers however.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1. I know nothing about the top-mounted RFs. They are too "new school" for me.

2. The infinity stops do make sure that your rangefinder and the lens (and your distance scale) are all in synch. They are not necessary when using the ground glass (though you might as well use them).

3. It depends on the lens. IMO, you should just make a bellows extension factor chart ahead of time, rather than doing the math for each shot. It should show the distances at which exposure adjustment becomes necessary. That way, all you need to do is take a measurement, and see where it falls on the chart. (Hint: if you use your infinity stops as your reference point, and always use the same lens, you can make a "Mamiya-esque" bellows extension scale on the bed with a Sharpie or a pencil, or two strips of painter's tape if you do not want to mark the camera itself.)

4. Mine doesn't go all the way in either, but it fires the shutter. All it does is connect to a cable that moves an arm that is clipped onto the front standard, which contacts the shutter release on the lens. It is unlikely that you will feel any sort of "positive engagement" from the body shutter release button like you do with most cameras. (Mine gets kind of "squishy", but fires the shutter just fine.) I'd check to see if it fires the shutter once you cock it.

P.S. Just FYI, there are cable release threads in front of the body shutter release. The cable release physically depresses the button (just like your finger would do hand held) when it is attached here.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-27-2010 at 12:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post

... my question was -- is it necessary with these kinds of cameras?......
    Simple answer - not unless you are shooting very close, that is table top, or macro.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bob's right re: bellows extension.

If you're worried or want to double check, check out JBrunner's site for his handy dandy bellows extension calculator.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graphics with the top rangefinder: Graphic Rangefinder.
    Graphics with the side rangefinder: Kalart or Hugo Meyer Rangefinder.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Crown Graphics

You are right about not worrying about the settings on most images. We used Crowns and Speeds just like one uses a 35mm these days. Shot weddings and sporting events on the fly with a big bag of holders on one hip and a big bag of #2 flash bulbs (think 60w) on the other hip.
    We did graduate to film packs, which lessened the load, and if you could afford one, a big electronic flash(heavy)

I don't miss that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin