Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,058   Online: 981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wista DX ID?

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Wista DX ID?

I am looking to buy my first LF camera and was looking at the Wista DX. I have found one for sale but cannot get a great deal of information about whether it is a DX or DX II. I am also puzzled as to the wood and the red bellows. Can anyone shed any light thoughts as to what wood this is and whether it is a DX or DX II?

It is from a camera dealer but he has no information with it and doesn't know much about LF cameras. It looks to be in good condition. What faults should I be looking out for? Any help would be appreciated.

Should there be a front plate on these or any kind of stamp with the model number. If so where should it be?

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, The camera is a Wista DX because it has shift on the back standard. It looks like the 'Rosewood' model, but it's actually made from sandalwood I believe. Doesn't smell like it though. Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the Rosewood finish, as long as all the brass works & bellows are in good condition the camera will be excellent.

From the photo's the camera looks well looked after and near mint, as long as everything tightens down properly there's very little can go wrong. Lens board is the wrong way around (inside-out

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just bought a Wista Field and this thread confirms that it is a DX. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fixed or interchangeable bellows?
    With fixed bellows it is a DX and with interchangeable bellows it is a SW.
    The SW takes the same bellows as the SP, VX or RF (nice if you want to use short lenses and still use a wooden camera).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fixed bellows, but OK with a 65mm- tilt back & front, or a 300mm, I use a Nikkor M f9 300mm.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the information guys. Should there be a brass plate on the front? The reason I ask is that in every picture that I have seen there has been one but there doesn't appear to be one on this particular camera. Also is the red bellows usual? Would there be a serial number anywhere on the camera?

The camera would be to take mainly landscape pics.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The camera looks alright and not missing anything, but the lens board is mounted backwards in the pictures.
    Nice camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The brass looking name plate is usually just stuck on, it's not brass, the red bellows are unusual but look great. I've had my 54DX since 1986 and it was second-hand then they are xcellent for landscpe work. That's all mine gets used for at themoment.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The name plate on my '82 vintage DX has a silver/chrome finish. It's a thin glued-on plate on the focus cross-rail, and the camera would probably look better without the color mismatch to the brass parts. The plate has "Wista Field" printed on it with black ink in 'negative', letting the 'silver metal' show through to form the letters and a border.

That shouldn't make any difference at all unless you miss a name-brand label that doesn't match the camera cosmetically.

Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin