Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,081   Online: 1103

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Sinar F price opinion

Hi folks.

I've been shooting and processing 6x6 film (oh, and just a bit of 135) up to this very day.
    Since I shoot lots of architecture and geometries, I was thinking of getting the big leap to LF.
    I've been reasearching a bit lately, which camera would fit me. My intentions were to really keep it quiet and read a lot before committing to a purchase. But I've found a used Sinar F priced €500, which comes along with an extension rail and 3 lensboards. That might sound like a fair priced kit, so I thought I would ask for your advice, since the Sinar was one of the cameras on the "could work for me" list.
    I've seen a Horseman LE around for €300, as well...

Thanks for your insights!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi

it depend on the condition of movement, bellow and ground glass, if they are all good, then €500 is reasonable. Its not a great deal but for a really good camera that will work for many many years its nor a bad deal either (but movement, bellow and ground glass should be perfect)

If you choose between the Sinar F (see if you cant find a Sinar C, it has a more stable/advanced back stand), and the Horsman LE i would go with the Sinar because you can get the Sinar shutter. Instead of mounting a shutter in your lens, you place the shutter behind the front lens stand. This mean that you can use really old lenses or lenses that has no shutter mounted. Of course you can also use lenses with shutters. For me this feature on the Sinar is one of the best, and you will never be sorry for getting a Sinar.

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Markets and values are local, but 500 euros (approx US$700) seems very high on this side of the Atlantic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd sell mine for 600usd with same setup, and that's about what it would bring on ebay. You might want to check around, hard to believe the local market would be that out of line with the global market.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, €500 is OK, but I wouldn't jump at it, as there are better deals to be found with that money in your hand. Check german *bay and possibly other places.

//Björn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Advice taken :-)

I still feel I'm too little informed about it all. Too early to move! But I didn't want to miss a bargain.. Since it doesn't seem to be the case, I guess I'll pass on this one.
    I see that lots of gear are far cheaper in the US, but shipping and customs would hijack the party greatly...

Thanks for the responses :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marco.taje View Post
    Advice taken :-)

I still feel I'm too little informed about it all. Too early to move! But I didn't want to miss a bargain.. Since it doesn't seem to be the case, I guess I'll pass on this one.
    I see that lots of gear are far cheaper in the US, but shipping and customs would hijack the party greatly...

Thanks for the responses :-)
    Check out peterwalnes.co.uk and ffordes.co.uk competitive prices on LF gear on this side on the atlantic, and nice fellas overall.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin