Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,168   Posts: 1,614,456   Online: 859

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just me I guess, but I recently bought Tamron caps to put on my Canon lenses because they have the "center pinch' clamping mechanism that often allows getting them on and off with a lens hood on! On used lenses, I'd be impressed that the lens came with caps, but wouldn't much care whose caps, as long as they were the correct size and fit. Of course, I'm not a collector, I only buy the stuff to use.
    Last edited by DWThomas; 02-07-2010 at 11:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This doesn't answer your question, but you can get all sorts of lenscaps here for very little money. They're just generic lens caps, but they do the job.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Frank. I do appreciate the link. But the sizes I need are quite varied. Too the push-on style they sell have a deeply recessed center that I suspect will contact the front element in many cases.

I need push-on caps in 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 36, 37.5, 38, 42, 44, 47, 50, 54, and 58. Of three of these sizes I need at least a dozen each. Another I need more than two dozen and a couple other sizes I need more than thirty each. About half are Schneider either to fit Schneider lenses or because they were far cheaper than the generic brand. The other half are generic to fit the Kodak, Graflex, and many other brands including an old Protarlinse and a Voigtlander Heliar... just all kinds of stuff.

I think I'll contact the retailer and ask for a volume discount on the caps. I mean they're just little plastic discs so the markup must be huge. Surely they can give me some discount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know that this is the Large Format forum, but ...

For some lenses, like lenses for the Mamiya TLRs, it is quite difficult to find lens caps (both front and back), so including the right caps is a real plus.

Matt

Images
    http://www.filterfind.net/Caps.html

I have had great results dealing with filterfind.net

I would much rather buy a lens with proper fitting caps.

The service at filterfind.net is great, and I think the Kaiser caps are excellent—they run from around $4 - $7.50. Perhaps make an organized chart to put an organized order together, easy as 1234.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcd View Post
    http://www.filterfind.net/Caps.html

I have had great results dealing with filterfind.net

I would much rather buy a lens with proper fitting caps.

The service at filterfind.net is great, and I think the Kaiser caps are excellent—they run from around $4 - $7.50. Perhaps make an organized chart to put an organized order together, easy as 1234.
    Nice link!! Their prices on Kaiser caps are 40-70 percent (average about 1/2) the cost from B&H!! I wonder if B&H will price match... it would be easier than ordering from two places. If not, to heck with B&H. I'll buy my Kaiser caps from these folks!!

If I buy a lens, it is generally because I'm getting an excellent deal on it. That said, I wouldn't allow the absence of a bit of plastic I could scrounge from elsewhere become a deal breaker.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It just seems to me that people would consider their time valuable enough to pay the $20 per lens for really nice caps (my break even point). Finding two properly fitting caps, ugly or not, can take some time. This also saves the lens buyer the time/effort of having to order new ones.
    Last edited by Mike1234; 02-08-2010 at 02:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Honestly, I think it's a waste of time buying all those caps for lenses you're selling. When I buy a used lens, I'm interested in the condition of lens and the shutter (if any). The caps are nice, but if the price is right, I can buy them. These days I mostly buy older lenses and they're usually missing the caps. I don't see the caps pushing the value of the lenses above the actual costs of the caps+shipping, so why not make it easier on yourself and just sell the lenses as-is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If I had ten lenses to sell I might think about buying correctly sized caps. With one hundred though, I don't think I would bother. I would just pack them well with a good quality polythene bag as the first covering then plenty of foam (assuming you are posting them).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin