Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,391   Online: 856

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The funny thing is I've already collected all the size data via caliper and the list is already composed so most of the work is already done. In fact, I already have every one of them in my B&H "Wish List" so all I have to do is click the "Add To Cart" button. Several years ago I bought/sold quite a bit and it was my personal experience that good caps, especially the correctly branded ones made a difference in selling price. In that light, many of the replies here surprise me. Maybe APUG is just a more forgiving and open-minded group.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know it we're a more forgiving group. I think it's more that we're not so much collectors for the sake of collecting rather than we're a bunch of users. As such we're more interested in equipment that will serve us and is in good condition. In my opinion, if the lens is clean, clear and mechanically sound, that's fine. Cosmetics are relatively unimportant.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Original caps are sometimes a sign that the lens has been well cared for, so the value isn't just from the cost of the cap itself. For classic lenses, original caps may be the only non-custom caps that are likely to fit. New Schneider caps are surprisingly expensive, particularly large ones.
    Ditto.

I think your value deductions are way too extreme for lenses without the original caps.

Having them is nice, but I would say that in most cases, it does not significantly affect the value at all...unless it is obvious that they have been on the lens for its entire life, in which case it is really the over all condition of the lens that matters, not the fact that it has the caps.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd much rather get lens caps, especially the ones original to the lens, when buying. But if the deal on the lens is good enough I don't mind spending the $30 or so to buy them myself. It's not that big of a deal... except for the 67 mm slip-on that I now seek -- it seems like that is the only size they don't make anymore.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mike, if you were offering the same lens - in the same condition - with and without caps then I am more likely to buy the one with caps, but I wouldn't pay more than the cost of the caps to do so. In your situation I would be inclined to concentrate on the lenses in best condition as having a set of caps is not going to make some old beater shoot any better. I live in Australia where the supply of LF gear is quite small and tends to be expensive. Most of my gear has been bought from eBay or KEH and generally has been at the older and cheaper end of the spectrum. With limited choices I take what I can get and regard caps as a bonus.

There doesn't seem to be much of a collector market (apart from me) for Schneider lenses so people will be buying on the usefulness (to them) of the lenses. I would expect an otherwise pristine lens to have the caps as a sign that it has been looked after and would tend to think twice about an expensive lens that is missing its caps. For a Symmar or Symmar-S it wouldn't bother me if the caps were missing, even though they are a pain to replace. For an APO Symmar or APO Symmar-L (not that I have any) I would expect the lens to be in excellent condition and have the caps.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Guess you uncovered your plans and wont sell here to any of the people that care about caps coz they know your lenses didnt have any before. Getting so many caps will take some time, and you are the one to decide if spending that time+money is worth it. You could always do a test run and put up 2 identical lenses, one with and one without. Since I personally dont care about caps, I might be interested in a lens coverring 8x10 at infinity without caps and with a 20$ discount I will make my caps out of my dedicated collection of jam container lids.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by calceman View Post
    Guess you uncovered your plans and wont sell here to any of the people that care about caps coz they know your lenses didnt have any before. Getting so many caps will take some time, and you are the one to decide if spending that time+money is worth it. You could always do a test run and put up 2 identical lenses, one with and one without. Since I personally dont care about caps, I might be interested in a lens coverring 8x10 at infinity without caps and with a 20$ discount I will make my caps out of my dedicated collection of jam container lids.
    Nope... no plans to keep covered. I never try to deceive. They'll all be listed here eventually and the ads will state whether the caps are new, generic, or original. I don't eat jam so I have none of those lids. I have used all kinds of things as caps thbough... plastic 135 film canister lids, soda pop bottle caps, coffee can lids, all kinds of things.

I'm still undecided... still watching for replies.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The lenses will be harder to sell if you buy caps. Why? I assume you have an oddball assortment of older large format lenses. Many will generate marginal interest and if you buy caps, you'll have to tack on the extra cost and will probably be more psychologically resistant to lowering the prices. In turn, the initial higher prices may be enough to deter buyer's interest in marginal lenses. Your potential customers are likely to be more like calceman (and me)--looking in your bargain bin and happy to scrounge their own caps to save some money.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hmm... the older and more senile I get... the more I doubt my judgement. Please keep the responses coming. I need the guideance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two lens in identical shape one with and one without same price... sure who won't take the one with caps.

I pick up caps here and there and probably have something to fit a right priced lens already.

Mike

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin