Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,178   Online: 1163

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    New 8x10 cameras are expensive. New lenses for them are expensive. The cameras are big. The other equipment you need to use them is also big. The negative is big too...but think about how big you really need it to be to get what you want...and how much money you want to spend to get the pix you want.

I would start in LF with a used 4x5 kit, personally...for a plethora of reasons which have been discussed at length in previous threads. Most importantly, it is the most common, equipment- and supply-wise, the cheapest, and even this relatively small sheet film format will give you enough quality to knock the socks off of almost anyone.

...and before that, let us remember that you have never even shot film. I would at least learn the basics of film photography on a smaller camera, such as a manual, meterless 35mm or medium-format SLR. Making all the beginning mistakes you will make will be much cheaper this way, as will your initial investment.

P.S. FYI, a Sinar F travels extremely well; arguably better than any other monorail camera. They are now so cheap that it is hard to ever recommend anything else to someone who is serious about learning 4x5 and using it into the future. They are cheap, they are arguably the best all-around view camera ever made, they are easy to use, to handle, and to pack, the system is extensive (to say the least), and the backward-and-forward parts compatibility is also a huge plus.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-11-2010 at 05:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    Yup, the L-758DR will work very well - set up a camera profile for your new camera...
    Too bad i don't know how to setup a profile.
    my problem is that with all those tutorials in English i take long time to find out the meaning of the words long time so that i don't continue to read, and i think i didn't see any full video for profiling the camera with Sekonic light meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    New 8x10 cameras are expensive. New lenses for them are expensive. The cameras are big. The other equipment you need to use them is also big. The negative is big too...but think about how big you really need it to be to get what you want...and how much money you want to spend to get the pix you want.

I would start in LF with a used 4x5 kit, personally...for a plethora of reasons which have been discussed at length in previous threads. Most importantly, it is the most common, equipment- and supply-wise, the cheapest, and even this relatively small sheet film format will give you enough quality to knock the socks off of almost anyone.

...and before that, let us remember that you have never even shot film. I would at least learn the basics of film photography on a smaller camera, such as a manual, meterless 35mm or medium-format SLR. Making all the beginning mistakes you will make will be much cheaper this way, as will your initial investment.

P.S. FYI, a Sinar F travels extremely well; arguably better than any other monorail camera. They are now so cheap that it is hard to ever recommend anything else to someone who is serious about learning 4x5 and using it into the future. They are cheap, they are arguably the best all-around view camera ever made, they are easy to use, to handle, and to pack, the system is extensive (to say the least), and the backward-and-forward parts compatibility is also a huge plus.
    I will buy a LF after i break my medium format film bodies of shots [will finish all the film rolls i have to see what i have achieved so far], later on i can decide on a LF, who knows, i may forget about LF after a while with film MF.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    Too bad i don't know how to setup a profile.
    my problem is that with all those tutorials in English i take long time to find out the meaning of the words long time so that i don't continue to read, and i think i didn't see any full video for profiling the camera with Sekonic light meter.
    I didn't mean those full on film DR things you have to use the USB cable with, seemed more digital oriented anyway - just one of the 3 (?) camera presets - with mine, I have two 'cameras' set up in cine mode with appropriate shutter angles and prism compensation (I have the cine version) and the third set up really vanilla for the Sinars and Mamiya here ...

And again you'd do well to note that the Sinar F has come up again is conversation here (2F/2F)
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    I didn't mean those full on film DR things you have to use the USB cable with, seemed more digital oriented anyway - just one of the 3 (?) camera presets - with mine, I have two 'cameras' set up in cine mode with appropriate shutter angles and prism compensation (I have the cine version) and the third set up really vanilla for the Sinars and Mamiya here ...

And again you'd do well to note that the Sinar F has come up again is conversation here (2F/2F)
    OK, i will check out that
    Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin