Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,146   Online: 1036

Thread: Lens Question

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Lens Question

My uncle was a PJ for the old Brooklyn Eagle in the 20s and 30s. He used a B&J Press as his working tool. The camera needs a new bellows and to be recovered, but I do have a question about the lens. It is a Voightlander 135mm 4.5 Anastigmat Skopar in a Compur Shutter. I really know nothing about these cameras, and was wondering about the lens quality. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    IIRC, the Skopar is a Tessar-formula. If clean and without significant marks it shall still give professional quality results, stopped down to f/11 or so. I hope you plan to refurb the camera and use it.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's Tessar type design, so it's OK, but gives it's best performance stopped down to f16/f22. As it's a 135 so coverage at the edges & corners isn't sharp until f16.

If it's coated then it's quite usable, but even uncoated it's OK with care, just more prone to flare and slightly lower in contrast.

Ian.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    IIRC, the Skopar is a Tessar-formula. If clean and without significant marks it shall still give professional quality results, stopped down to f/11 or so. I hope you plan to refurb the camera and use it.
    Thank you for information. I do plan on refurbing it, but not in the immediate future.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's Tessar type design, so it's OK, but gives it's best performance stopped down to f16/f22. As it's a 135 so coverage at the edges & corners isn't sharp until f16.

If it's coated then it's quite usable, but even uncoated it's OK with care, just more prone to flare and slightly lower in contrast.

Ian.
    Thank you, Ian! It's good information. I've primarily been a medium format guy, but do plan on refurbing and using the camera. Thanks again!

Respectfully,

Jeff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin