Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,275   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Linhof 135mm f5.6 Schneider-Kreuznach Componon

I bought two enlarging lenses for a very cheap price of $20.00 and have a question about one of them. It is a Schneider-Kreuznach 135mm f5.6 Componon lens with Linhof engraved in red on the lens barrel. It appears to be and enlarging lens, but I'm puzzled about the Linhof engraving and was wondering what the two have in common. Was it for bellows work, enlarging or copy. It looks just like a normal 135mm f5.6 Componon. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Componon was also sold as a Macro lens, and they weren't unusual. In fact Schneider still sell Macro-Componon's but no longer that focal lenght. they mak Makro Symmar's as well.

The cells fit a Copal or Compur 0 shutter.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ian,
    I thought that might be what it was used for as I didn't think Linhof had any link to enlarging/printing. I would also assume it is the same exact design of the regular 135mm f5.6 Componon lens as it looks identical. Do I assume right? JohnW
    Oh, and the two Meopta Meogon 80mm f2.8 lenses are really first rate and every bit as good as my black 80mm f5.6 Componon so I'm happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Meogon Optics were made by Schneider so they should be identical quality

Yes the 135mm Macro Compono is the same cells as the enlarger lens, I have used ny spare 135mm Componon cells in a shutter for close up work, and it's excellent. I've also seen them fitted to a Sinar shutter.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ian, I'm now even more confused! Reading what you have just said leads me to another question. How did this lens get used for macro work on a Linhof? Was the whole unit mounted into a Linhof shutter? I'm guessing it must have been or there would be no reason to have Linhof engraved on the barrel if the cells were to be removed and placed into another shutter. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Linhof made a LOT of macro stuff.

They even made a hyper-mega-super-duper macro camera for Zeiss.

It was common for macro lenses to screw into the front of a shutter mounted on the front standard of the macro camera. Visualise the child of a 4x5 enlarger and a nuclear submarine.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Macro Componon's were sold as barrel lenses or in shutters.

It's quite possible that someone has bought it in shutter second-hand then used the shutter for something else, and put theLinhof Componon cells in a barrel. Sometimes you see pairs of lens cells for sale with no shutter, I bought a coated CZJ 150mm Tessar that way.

The Linhof shutter was a Compur, but then Deckel who owned Compur was a partner in Linhof, so Compur/Linhof had close historic ties.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format

135mm Linhof Componon

:rolleyes:Ian, this particular lens looks just like a Schneider Componon 135mm f5.6, but it has Linhof red-engraved on the outer barrel. Maybe the whole lens screwed into some sort of shutter. I'll take a picture of it later and post it. JohnW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3335.jpg   IMG_3336.jpg  
    Last edited by John Wiegerink; 02-17-2010 at 01:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's unusual* as it's a Linhof barrel, so it's original - I was wrong. It's also unusual as the Linhof name is usually on the ring inside the filter thread, I have similar age Durst Componons marked that way and Linhof select LF lenes

You'd need to look at what else Linhof made in the 60's/70's, try the CammeraEccentric website he has a few Linhof catalogues online. I know that my CZJ 150mm Tessar was being sold at one time as a Linhof lens (rebadged by Zeiss West Germany).

Ian

* or is it ? some things nagging telling me my old 135mm Componon might be similarly marked, but it's in the UK
    It is possible Linhof supplied the barrels.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ian, I'm thinking more along the lines of a mutual partnership. Maybe Schneider was contracted to produce the lens with the Linhof trade mark. The reason I say this is because the barrel certainly looks "Schneider" to me. Of course I could be wrong? Being wrong is certainly possible for me and my wife is quick to point that out. JohnW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin