Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,700   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

Best Wide Angle bang for one's respective currency

I am very new to LF photography. I have a 150mm lens and am looking for something on the wide side. Any suggestions for a used lens to look for out there?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH
    I am very new to LF photography. I have a 150mm lens and am looking for something on the wide side. Any suggestions for a used lens to look for out there?
    are you talking 4x5, 8x10, etc...
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you're main lens is a 150mm, I'll guess you're shooting 4x5".

A single-coated Schneider 90/8.0 Super-Angulon from the 1970s can be a nice lens (I have one) for $200-300, depending on condition and shutter. Avoid the ones in 00 shutters if you can, since it's hard to find lensboards for that size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 90 and it quite nice used. The widest practical I think without breaking the bank is a 65mm Super Angulon. I got mine for a little over $300 used and it's worth every penny. You have to be careful using it though or you will get the front end of your focusing rail in the shot.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH
    i agree wholeheartedly with the previous posts ...
    if you are looking at schneider lenses, a handy link is this:
    http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/age_of_lenses/
    the lens serial # is located on the front cell, and with the above link, you can figure out what year of manufacture it was ...
    besides a hard to find lensboard hole, if you have fingers bigger than a child's, you'll have trouble adjusting fstops &C without a pen or something to stick in there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    If you're main lens is a 150mm, I'll guess you're shooting 4x5".

A single-coated Schneider 90/8.0 Super-Angulon from the 1970s can be a nice lens (I have one) for $200-300, depending on condition and shutter. Avoid the ones in 00 shutters if you can, since it's hard to find lensboards for that size.

David, I may be mistaken but I think the 70s version was just called an Angulon and was single coated in a compur shutter. Good lens but not a good shutter. I think these lenses are the $200-$300 versions. The Super Angulons were later and I see them on Midwest and Lens and Repro sites for $500-$700 depending on condition. I think there were 3 versions however. A 5.6, 6.8 and F8. The 6.8 may be the older lens in a compur but I am not sure. Do you know the distinctions?
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

90mm f6.8 coated Raptar. Small, light and good image quality. Not much room for moves though. Inexpensive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim--The 90/6.8 Angulon was even earlier and was a Dagor type. These are very lightweight and compact lenses, and coated ones go for around $125-200. Linhof Select Angulons are usually a little more consistent, and they were made into the 1970s. I have one just for when I need something lightweight.

The 90/8.0 Super-Angulon was made simultaneously with the Angulon, going back I think to the 1960s, and it is a much sharper lens out to the edges of the image circle, but also much larger and somewhat more expensive. You can usually find these for under $350 for the single coated version. I have 90/8.0, 75/8.0, and 65/8.0 Super Angulons from the 1970s, and they are all very decent lenses. The newer and faster ones with big image circles are better, but they are also very large and often take big filters, and I try to keep all my 4x5" lenses under 67mm so that I can use my Linhof drop-in filter holder/shade with them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim68134
    David, I may be mistaken but I think the 70s version was just called an Angulon and was single coated in a compur shutter. Good lens but not a good shutter.
    I have heard this before about compur shutters and am wondering why they generally have this reputation of being bad? I have several lenses in compur shutters of all vintages from dial set, to the all black late 80's early 90's versions, and I have found them to be fine shutters, no better or worse than copal shutters.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Compur shutters are fine, but they often require a CLA to work properly when they are old (around $80), particularly with the slow speeds. With some you may never get the slow speeds back, but I find I'm more accurate on "bulb" with a metronome than most old shutters, even at 1/2 sec.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin