Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,983   Posts: 1,523,900   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What's your ULTIMATE neg filing system?

Are you like me - with sheet negs in sleeves carefully sorted into piles on the coffee table, drawers, book shelves, boxes and hanging off the clothes rack over the dehumidifier (all carefully labelled of course)? Or have you got the Ultimate filing system?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine are all stored in folders, proof sheet and processing/printing notes (a report from a database I record this in) back to back in a clear sleeve followed by negs in filing sheets. I segregate formats into seperate folders. The folders are arranged in format/number sequence. I'm fairly organised

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Mine are all stored in folders, proof sheet and processing/printing notes (a report from a database I record this in) back to back in a clear sleeve followed by negs in filing sheets. I segregate formats into seperate folders. The folders are arranged in format/number sequence. I'm fairly organised
    Nige, nothing personal, but that's just not normal...mine system is a non-system..meaning I don't ahve one. Yours sounds pretty good.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mine is rather simple. I have a binder box for each year and a matching box for the contact sheets. Each sheet of negatives is numbered.
    For example, the last negative sheet I shot is now "04-0063", meaning it is the 63rd roll of film for 2004.
    So then when I print a negative, let's say frame #6, the back of the print says "04-0063-06".
    Nice and easy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Tupperware used to (and maybe still does) sell something called a "bread container." This wonderful container is the perfect size for 4x5 negatives in a sleeve.

My negatives are numbered on the sleeve mmyynnn where mm is month, yy is year and nnn is negative number from 000 to 999. Variations of negatives are given alpha suffixes.

Used to store the proof prints in front of each negative.

Most everything else is in plastic sleeves in 3 ring binders.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Images
    Does anyone use the

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/produ...roducts_id=368

8x10 Balanced Seam Envelopes $19.95USD

These archival envelopes have a superior design that offers more protection than thumb-cut envelopes, and are designed to be used with our Interleaving Folders for maximum protection.

The seams are sealed on the outside so they don't come in contact with film or prints, and both seams are on the long sides to provide equal thickness in storage. Has 1/8" lip for easy access to contents. Envelopes meet al ANSI IT9.2 specifications. Choose 80lb. Renaissance nonbuffered or Apollo buffered white envelopes. Passes P.A.T. The adhesive is pH-neutral.

Actual size 8-1/2 x 10-1/2 inches, 50 envelopes/package
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Brian, I use what I think is the same product, but from Light Impressions in 4x5. They work very well, and I have no complaints. I usually store a single negative in a mylar sleave in one envelope. The mylar sleave is to protect the negative when I pull it out of the envelope.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I number my negatives by date yymmdd - neg So negative number 6 from 21 februari 2004 reads: 040221-06. I also write this number with a very fine archival felt pen between the sprockets of 35mm, between negs on 120 and at the unexposed small strip of 4x5 negs. This way, I can never misplace them.

I once made contacts. Now I just scan the whole film at 200 dpi on my Epson flatbed scanner. Much easier to stock (I can take my whole archive with me on one DVD) and to search.

Gilbert
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know if I'd describe this as "ultimate", but ...

I work mostly in 120. Each film is developed, cut (4 exposures - three "sticks"), contact printed and stored in Print File Poly sleeves.
    Each sleeve and print is labeled with a date / film number code; the contact prints are held in a "sheet protector" (Samsill 8 1/2" x 11", Heavy Weight Polypropylene Top Load) and placed in a regular loose leaf notebook, contact sheet on the left facing the negative file sheet on the right.
    That way, I can visually select images to be printed and efficiently select the individual negative or locate them form Date / film / exposure numbers.
    The notebooks are labeled appropriately and filed in a run-of-the-mill filing cabinet - although they would easily fit any bookshelf.

*Some* part of that darkroom HAS to be organized - the rest ... hoo, boy!!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Images
    Brian
    I use the same thing from light impressions for 5x7. Check them I think they are cheaper. I just wish they had a fold flap on top. No matter how sealed my stuff is, in N. Arizona the dust gets in every thing. The flap would add one more layer of protection.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin