Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,281   Online: 1067

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

4x5 camera decison made I think.

Ok,

After much much much reading / researching I have decided on the Shen-Hao HZX 4X5-IIA. With all the movements that the camera has I think this will do it for me. Also I use in MF (6x6) lenses in this order; 150; 250; 50; 80 so I am thinking for get started that a 150 or 210 and 90 would be the way to go since I am using wide more and more and the 90 woudl give me that. What lens would be equal to a 150 & 250 in MF (6x6) format?

I looked seriously at monorails but this camera has jsut abotu everythign and I really like that fact that it folds up .

Also I currently use a Kirk ball head and I use RRS quick release plates. Who makes a plate for LF cameras to use with this ball head? It is the arca swiss style.

Do you think this is the way to go? I hate to ask that question but I am so new and hate to spend money on something that is the wrong thing.

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto
    Ok,

After much much much reading / researching I have decided on the Shen-Hao HZX 4X5-IIA. With all the movements that the camera has I think this will do it for me.
    Kev

Kev,

I think you made a good choice. The Shen-Hao is a very nice camera.

This was my first Large Format camera and it worked really well for me.
    The only reason I sold it was because I got a good deal on a Zone VI.

I think you will be happy with it.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you want to start LF with 4x5", the Shen-Hao is offering the best bang for the buck at the moment. 90/150/240 or 300 is a good spread. For the long lens you might go 210 or 240 if you think there may be a 360 telephoto in your future, or a 300 like the Fujinon-C if you think that's about as much as you'll want. "Normal" in 4x5" is 135-180.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a Shen Hao with a 90, 125, 150, 210 and 300mm (the last a telephoto Fujinon). I'm very happy with it--I think you made a good decision. I find that I use all of the movements it offers and I am glad that I bought it instead of a Tachihara, to which I compared it (at Badger Graphic Sales which is nearby). I chose the Fujinon 300mm tele because it seemed to offer closer focusing than a a straight 300 mm. The advantage is shorter bellows draw; the disadvantage is that in such designs the optical center of the lens is in front of the lens board so more fiddling with movements is required when one tilts or swings the front. It is nice and sharp, however.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I have another question. I was just reading to buy the Shen Hao when I now have an opportunity to buy a good Zone VI used for about the same price. The Zone VI is a bit more but not much. Would you prefer the Zone VI or the She Hao if this was your first LF camera?

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have another question. I was just reading to buy the Shen Hao when I now have an opportunity to buy a good Zone VI used for about the same price. The Zone VI is a bit more but not much. Would you prefer the Zone VI or the She Hao if this was your first LF camera?

Thanks,

Kev
    It depends on the model. If it's one like the "Wisner", yes I would go for that instead of the Shen Hao.

I had one for a couple of years, sold it (mistake) and just purchased another one.

Jim

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    How can you tell? What should I look for?

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    How can you tell? What should I look for?

Thanks,

Kev

Hey Kev,

This is the old "Wista" style:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

This is the "Wisner" style:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...819468834&rd=1

Jim

Here is some readin tht might help

Getting Started in Large Format this is a free article on our we site

www.viewcamera.com

Here aresme books

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dyinga

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Using the View Camra tha I wrote

any/all of these books will be very helpful in explaining movements, exposure techniques, etc

steve simmons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have Steve's book and the book by Jack Dykinga. Steve's is extremely useful...I was an utter novice when I started down the LF road. The Dykinga book seems to have a more specific product (Schneider lenses, Arca Swiss and Wista cameras.) orientation, but it's still worth purchasing. I also recommend the book on large and medium format photography (I can't think of the title at the moment) by Rodger Hicks and Frances Schultz. It offers information I've not seen elsewhere.
    John Voss

My Blog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin