Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,637   Online: 980

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Dave, how do you know you have an older one with an "aftermarket" FS?
    hi!

The movemens I consider important in a view camera are front and rear swing and front and rear tilt. With these movements ou can mimic all of the others.

stve simmons

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info guys.

I think I'll hold out for one with the swings.

Jim

Images
    Not very.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Brian - it's what was told to me by Ken Hough during a phone conversation a while back. Based on the lack of a serial number in certain places and the presence of the big aluminum plate on the bottom, I guess he was able to infer that it was about 60 years old. I guess with the particulars of the hardware, it indicates that it was sent back to the factory at some point for front swing, bed plate, and new bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave,

I dropped in to see Ken Hough a few weeks ago, and he has the first front swing Deardorff, number 500. He can also likely add front swings if you wish; the parts he has are amazing. If you're in Chicago, he's only a short drive away and well worth the visit.

Steve

Images
    Interesting. I'm trying to get a rough date for mine from the info on his site. Still lost. I've got FS, no round tripod bedplate thingy, FS, a label on the side, no serial number, and what I believe to be nickel hardware... phew!
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds pretty much like mine Brian. According to Ken Hough's info, it dates from early 1950. The aluminum tripod plate was something the US Air Force wanted (of course, they made a sizeable order) and it appeared in the early '50s.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    My earliest model Deardorff V8 has two rotating tabs to lock the lens board. The hardware is gold painted and it did not have a bed plate and had red leather bellows when I bought it a couple of years ago. This has no front swings and is about 70 years old. It is as solid as either of the two more recent V8's that I have. Both of which have bed plates, a locking plate for the lens board, serial numbers, nickle plated hardware and have serial number of 3*** and 5***.

I would much prefer to have front swings over rear swings. The use of these two movements is not interchangeable. Movements at the lens standard do not alter image perspective whereas movements at the film plane alter image perspective.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "How important is that feature? " $350-$500 for cameras in equal shape with and without. The one with no front swings would fetch 350-500 less. I have one of each. I had the early one with me on memorial day in the Bristlecones and didn't miss the FS up there. Architectural; it's a must.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin