Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,544   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

How Important Is "Front Swing" On A Deardorff?

There's a nice Deardorff with a good "Buy It Now" price, but it's an early model without Front Swing.

How important is that feature?

Thanks,
    Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I guess it really depends on your working method. I have front swing on mine and I use it all the time. Is it worth the extra price the WFS models sometimes go for? That's debatable. In any case, if you find yourself with a camera without front swings and need to do a little swinging, you can always fudge it with the swing on the rear standard. Not ideal, but it works.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd want to have it. I have a camera with rear swing only, and I prefer having front swings rather than doing it by the indirect method, when I need that adjustment.

Images
    JIm, you Sean and I need to form some sort of support group for eBay addicts
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    The first step to recovery is to admin you have a problem. I'm not to that point yet

Actually I need to slow down. Spent WAY to much lately, but it's hard to pass up some of this stuff

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    Count me in.

My 8x10" is not a Deardorff, has very limited swings, and isn't an 8x10" either. It's a 18x24cm camera. I used to think swings were paramount, and that I wouldn't buy an "unstandard" camera. But then I surfed through ebay.de one day...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not addicted to eBay! I can quit any time ... I haven't bought anything for at least 2 days...
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    I am not addicted to eBay! I can quit any time ... I haven't bought anything for at least 2 days...
    I wish I could say the same :rolleyes:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/234

The new Deardorff needed a friend
    hi!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My Deardorffs have front swings and tilts. My Eastman View 11x14 has rear tilt and rear swing only. I frequently resent the lack of front movements on the latter. I take almost exclusively landscapes, and I favor longer lenses which require movements to aid DOF issues. Also, the Deardorff is not the most rigidly designed of the popular 8x10 cameras. Wear and tear only makes this worse. The older the camera, the greater the chance of wear and tear, so a newer 'dorf WFS might be a less problematic choice. Also, the combination of front and rear swings gives shift, which might occasionally get you out of a jam.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Note that not all the Dorffs with front swing left the factory that way originally. Mine was made some time before they started making them with front swing, and was later sent back to have front swing added, as well as updated hardware in a few other places. It may still be pretty old if it has front swings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin