Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,102   Online: 871

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You've already got a 355m/14" lens so a 14" Commercial Ektar would be 'more of the same.' I agree with df that a 19" Artar is a peach of alens. While expensive when mounted in a shutter, barrel examples aren't all that expensive and with a packard shutter it would be very workable. These lenses are SHARP. If you prefer a soft portrait lens look at Wollensaks or Cookes, but these are substantial lenses and will tax the front standards on many 8x10s.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So Bmac, what did you end up with. I agree with Ralph that padding is a must. Have some installed on the walls of a small room. I don't necessarily agree that 18" is a must for 8X10. 810 is kind of unique in that a full head shot is very close to 1:1. So bellows extension gets to be a factoroid. I'm finding a 15-16" lens at 28-30 inches works well to fill the frame with a head shot. Yesterday I shot 5 lenses on the same subject up in my "studio". A shootout. 18" Gundlach 4.5 Radar. 18" B&L Plastigmat Portrait. 14.5" magic lantern triplett ($14.99) 12" Voigtlander Euryscop 4.5, and a 19" B&L Tessar. Waiting for the prints to dry so the vote is still out. But I have to say the $15 lens is a serious contender. Certainly as Ralph says, different looks for different jobs. Local ranchers with 60 years of facial sun damage would definitely require a Petzval or perhaps even a RR with wiry sharpness. If Kate Hudson happens along I'll be using the 15 1/2" Cooke Portronic.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    <snip>If Kate Hudson happens along I'll be using the 15 1/2" Cooke Portronic.
    More like if she shows up, someone will be calling the paramedics to get your heart going again!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Brian first posted this in June of 04. Since then he has sold most of his film cameras except 35mm and is not spending any time here at all. To bad I miss him.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I NEVER read the date.... silly me

He'll be back
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Darn. I didn't pay attention to the original post date, either. So, I feel a bit silly, as well.

On the bright side, the topic remains of potential interest to those new to 8x10.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Still appropriate in July 2012. The new depression retirees need to keep occupied. I am occupying a large portrait studio and darkroom to escape digital madness. However, now one must do both. I am grateful for APUG historical content.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    @ jim gali ...
    enjoyed your pages very much, with all those antique lenses play - almost like side by side look, lots of lenses and lots of character.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin