Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,366   Online: 1069

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I checked this out before I bought it and the 45A can focus up to a 400mm lens, I plan on using this for landscape. Being here in Alaska a lot of the time I have been out hiking I have wanted to take shots where I can take out the area right in front of me. If I want to use a lens for portraits I have a "normal" lens the 140mm Ilex Paragon Anastigmat. I guess if I need to focus up closer and and the bellows or focus track limit me I will just have to use a different lens. Thanks for the info.
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photobizzz View Post
    I checked this out before I bought it and the 45A can focus up to a 400mm lens.
    You're shure about that? Mine has only about 300 mm maximum bellows draw. Be aware that in large format "tele lens" has a different meaning than in 35 mm. The designation "tele" is used for lenses that need less bellows draw for focussing compared to the non-tele designs of the same focal length. A non-teledesign 400 mm like a symmar won't focus with a Toyo 45A and a 300 mm only at almost infinity. The 360 mm tele-xenar needs about 210 mm bellowsdraw at infinity and is the perfect longer lens for this camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've seen quite a few ads for view cameras stating that they 'support lenses up to 400mm' and in the fine print they specify 400mm tele.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is the same camera just newer model as my 45A and will take up to 300mm / 400mm tele

http://www.toyoview.com/Products/45AII/45AII.html

and I bought a 300mm, so it should work fine, it is only the minimum focus that needs the maximum bellows draw, not for infinity focus right?
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, and here is a discussion on the large format photography forum discussing the exact issue and more than one person has said they are able to focus a 300mm on a 45A for portraits, if need be I will order the 100mm extension box for the rear. But hope not as they are ridiculously expensive ($549!) Probably cheaper to sell the lens and get a different one.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...d.php?p=572849

I just measured the bellows from the film plane to the approximate aperture position and without any swings but with full rise and fall available the Toyo 45A has 310mm of bellows extension and it wasn't "stretched" to the point I was worried about messing the bellows up. My lens and two boards I ordered from KEH are shipping today so I guess actually trying it out will tell if I bought the "wrong" lens. I will be able to use it for landscape anyway although it will be disappointing if I cant use it at the min focusing distance for portraits.

BTW: If anyone here uses KEH I just found out that they no longer ship by UPS, the only option available was FEDEX. It cost me $30 for FEDEX 2nd day air which since I live in Alaska is cheaper than FEDEX ground.
    Last edited by photobizzz; 04-01-2010 at 05:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Much cheaper than a rear extention you can get a 'top hat' lens board.. the opposite of a recessed lens board.. I'm not sure about your model, but reversing a recessed lensboard may be the equivilent.

But it may not even be an issue if you can focus as close as you want to.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Much cheaper than a rear extention you can get a 'top hat' lens board.. the opposite of a recessed lens board.. I'm not sure about your model, but reversing a recessed lensboard may be the equivilent.

But it may not even be an issue if you can focus as close as you want to.
    I was looking for one of those, anyone have a line on where to buy one that will work? My board is 110X110mm. I didn't see one after about 20 min of looking on the net. I did email skgrimes to ask if they could fabricate one or a cheaper extension for me, waiting to hear back.
    ~Horace~

If you don't have the bellows to support a 14" Artar then a tele would be the way to go in a longer focal length. That said---
    I hate teles on LF!
    But my preferred tele is the Wollensak yellow dot 15 incher( if someone was pointin a gun to my head and makin' me use one!)
    At least they're cheap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Originally I was looking at a 12" not 14" and 12" is the same as a 300mm, and I have 310mm of bellows draw, so I can focus a 300mm lens. I was primarily asking people who has a preference, not someone who hates telephoto lenses.
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have made a couple of lens board extensions out of ABS drain pipe. Not the neatest, but they work.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin