Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,469   Posts: 1,644,119   Online: 775

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    IF you get many customers you have to have a setup running to and from the darkroom. And I was thinking of FB papers so there is the matter of drying.
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with either an 8x10, or FB paper. Just to cumbersome for the event.

This is a one time occasion for all those people visiting the festival. People will be thrilled even if you come up with "just" a wooden 4x5. They have never seen it, and will accept the smaller format readily (as they don't know anything else anyway).

And they will likely be just as happy getting a simple and easy to make small 4x5 RC contact print (possibly sepia toned, that is easy to do), than they will a FB enlargement on 8x10 paper or whatever you envisioned.

And likely still easily pay you the full 25,- bucks IF you manage to deliver it the same day by having an improvised darkroom on site!!

Nothing beats "instant satisfaction"... look at the "d******l" thing!

Other even simpler option would be to use 4x5 Fuji instant film, for even more "instant satisfaction"...

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think I have ever seen a Fuji instant B&W film. How do they look? Is the result "good enough", presuming I am "good enough". It would be very fast and convenient. Need to investigate this a bit more. Does any LF camera accept an instant film back?

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think I have ever seen a Fuji instant B&W film. How do they look? Is the result "good enough", presuming I am "good enough". It would be very fast and convenient. Need to investigate this a bit more. Does any LF camera accept an instant film back?

r

Mats
    Personally, I find the picture quality of Fuji instant film higher than from Polaroid. Especially in terms of the ease with which to get an even development / pull. I always had some streaks or specks on Polaroid. Much less so with Fuji instant film.

There is one thing to be aware of though with instant film (it doesn't matter whether it is Polaroid or Fuji): they are much more fragile than an RC print, especially so when still wet just after development and opening the package. They easily attract dust or are scratched.

You should at least give the photos some time to dry properly, and have some good rugged envelope with you to give them to the festival visitors.

You might even consider sealing them in plastic after drying. Haven't done that ever, but it might be an idea...

To use Fuji 4x5 instant film in a 4x5 view- or technical camera you need the "Fuji PA-45 instant holder". Both this holder, and the film, can be bought straight from Japan at Japan Exposures, but there are also shops in other countries that sell it (here in the Netherlands, I can get 4x5 Fuji instant color film and one BW variant, but not all the other types available on Japan Exposures):

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/

PA-45 Holder:

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/p...roducts_id=192

Film you could use:

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/p...products_id=78
    http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/p...products_id=77

Note there is also a value pack of 20x10 sheets for some film types, might be an option in your case of the festival...

Be careful when choosing the film type! The true 4x5 films of Fuji have "45" in the film type name. So "FP-50045B" is truly 4x5, while "FP-400B" is the slightly smaller format with an image size of 85x108 mm (about 3.5x4 inch).

The smaller format also needs another holder!!

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does any LF camera accept an instant film back?

r

Mats
    Most do, my Tachihara readily accepts the Fuji PA-45 holder, even though it is considerably thicker than a normal film holder. If in doubt, ask about your specific camera here on APUG.
    My website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marco:
    Interesting site. They had film up to 3200 ASA. Is that normal speed for instant film? Or can you use 100 ASA in daylight like "normal" film?

r

Mats

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's a pity that Polaroid positive/negative film Type 55 isn't made any more as you could have shown (or even better, sold) the customer the 4x5 print and if they wanted it, you could make an enlargement from the negative.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw a guy in Kenya 10 years ago, using a homemade 8x10 and photopaper as film. Underneath the camera he did a quick develop and fix in a wooden "dark box". He then got the "negative" photopaper sandwiched with a new photopaper, and held it in broad daylight while counting out loud. After that the sandwich returned to the box and some minutes later he presented a photograph. Quite nice !
    Of course for permanence it should be washed adequately, and I think you can't give an unwashed picture to people in the streets, according to todays health standards.
    And maybe you should be careful taking these chemicals to places where a lot of people and especially children are.

But the idea is great !
    In your case I would mail the photo later, and I hope you need all your extra time in the field to reload your cassettes in a changing bag.
    Last edited by AmsterdamMartin; 04-06-2010 at 04:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i wonder how much this guy in india charges for something similar ..
    he process and prints the image as you wait ... ( in his camera! )

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,4488845.story

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is the problem in a nutshell. Will people wait for a few days to get a "proper" picture? Could be printed on FB, maybe sepia toned. Or will they only bite if they can get the instant gratification of instant film?
    Of course, you could have 2 backs and sell both.
    Hmmm... maybe I need to start looking for a nice 4x5.

r

Mats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have two guys running the show: One guy behind the camera and the other in the darkroom.
    Shoot in 4x5 and make contact prints. Make sure your name and contact information is on the back. Be sure to keep records so that all negatives can be matched with a name and address/phone number.

Charge €20 for the 4x5. Put them in little paper folders with a flier tucked inside which contains a price list for enlargements.
    If the customer orders an enlargement on the spot, offer a discount on the sitting fee.

Many years ago, I did a similar thing during an event at the museum where my wife works.
    Unfortunately, I only have a 35mm camera so everything was done on roll film.

Customers paid $5.00 for a sitting. My wife took the customer's name, address and phone number and wrote them in a notebook. Each sitter was also assigned an ID number. (Roll#1-Exp#1, etc. etc.) The ID number was also written in the notebook. This number was used to keep names and faces in sync. The film was developed and prints were made then sent to the customer. (We did not make prints on the spot because it was 35mm film.) In the envelope with their prints, the customers received a little slip of paper telling them who to call if they wanted more prints or enlargements. (In our case, all profits from the sale of prints were donated back to the museum.)

This event was for the City Centennial celebration so we shot black and white film and had it processed for archival stability. Then the film, one set of prints and the original notes were sealed in our city's Centennial Time Capsule.

This brings me to one final point. You can tell your customers that their photos are being taken on real film and that, if they take care of that print it will be around for their children and grandchildren to see. No so with digital images!

Yes, I know that digital images can potentially last for a very long time. Technology is getting better and better all the time. However, that technology is untested from an archival longevity point of view. We know, from experience, how long film photos can last if they are taken care of. Digital images COULD last 100 years or more but, since digital imagery has only been commercially available for less than 20 years, we have no experience in keeping them for the long term.

So, given that you're having an "Old Time" event, those photos you take will really be "old time" in 20 or even 50 years when people's children and grandchildren look at them in the future.

Use that as a selling point:
    1) To attract customers to your event, overall.
    2) To attract customers to your business, specifically.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin