Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,563   Online: 1146

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polaroid was around 40-50 years ago, so why not use some Fuji b/w 4x5 film?

You need Fuji's dedicated holder to use the film, however, and they are expensive.

Alternately, you can pick up a Polaroid 405 back for cheap, and use 3x4 instant prints in the view camera. You'd make a greater profit this way too.

It is such a tragedy that Type 665 is kaput! It would be perfect! It was the 3x4 pack version of Type 55. You could give them an instant 3x4 proof, and would have the option of charging them for reprints and/or blowups from the negative (which you would, of course, keep)!

You could test with Fujiroid, sell it to them, and if they want more prints or enlarged prints, shoot another one on film.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sounds like fun- can you do a small test market at a smaller event on the weekend-?

I would try to get the money up front -
    bring someone to help you-if nothing else to watch your equipment so you can take a bathroom break-

I have seen a guy do this at civil war reenactments-

he had a wagon/darkroom set up - to process on site
    another time he had set up a civil war era tent-

I don't know if he made any money at it-

and yes- I photographed him doing this-I shot film and toned them-to sepia-

it was probably 10 years ago-

D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    This is the problem in a nutshell. Will people wait for a few days to get a "proper" picture? Could be printed on FB, maybe sepia toned. Or will they only bite if they can get the instant gratification of instant film?
    Of course, you could have 2 backs and sell both.
    Hmmm... maybe I need to start looking for a nice 4x5.

r

Mats
    Mats,

I am pretty sure that whatever you will offer, they will bite for that 20-25 euro price. Instant gratification using instant film will probably give you a few more customers, and provided you can deliver it to them in a way they can properly take it home (the envelopes), it should be OK. Maybe you could even have a set of mini-mats the size of common small photo frames, and mat them directly.

But I really think you shouldn't bother with FB paper. Again, way to cumbersome for the event, and people won't even expect it! They expect a glossy RC print, much like they used to get when they still had all their analog photos printed before making those new online albums...

If you go the FB enlarged prints route, only do it because you like to print FB yourself and want to keep some of the prints for yourself, not for the customer... It is a boatload of unnecessary work otherwise, I think you may not even know how much...

About the instant film. The 3200 ISO is not a normal one, it is just something Fuji offers. Probably not necessary in a summer time situation, so yes, you could easily go with 100 ISO too, which is actually the only speed I can get here in the Netherlands.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marco:
    If I don't go for instant film then the prints would be delivered by mail after the event. A setup with a mobile darkroom or one guy running to and fro would be too hectic for me. I would constantly worry that the other guy (in the darkroom or at the site) was messing up the pictures.

IF I try this out. A big if since I don't even own a LF camera yet, it would most likely be such that they can choose a cheaper instant b&w copy OR wait a few days and get a proper RC/FB print (sepia optional) in the mail. All prepaid of course.

This forum is amazing! I have gotten so many good tips just on this thread it's embarrassing.

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    IF I try this out. A big if since I don't even own a LF camera yet, it would most likely be such that they can choose a cheaper instant b&w copy OR wait a few days and get a proper RC/FB print (sepia optional) in the mail. All prepaid of course.

This forum is amazing! I have gotten so many good tips just on this thread it's embarrassing.

r

Mats
    Mats, I think the option of having both instant film and normal film holders and sending RC/FB pictures after the event, is a perfectly reasonable option.

Go for it!

In case of an enlargement send later though, I would charge a different (higher) price than for instant. (Maybe 15 instant, 25 RC, or 20 instant, 30 RC?). Tell them its handwork, so they understand the price...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterdamMartin View Post
    I saw a guy in Kenya 10 years ago, using a homemade 8x10 and photopaper as film. Underneath the camera he did a quick develop and fix in a wooden "dark box". He then got the "negative" photopaper sandwiched with a new photopaper, and held it in broad daylight while counting out loud. After that the sandwich returned to the box and some minutes later he presented a photograph.
    Some of them re-photograph the 'negative' by placing it in front of the camera. The cameras I have seen have the chemistry inside.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    figuring out a way to do this with efke direct positive paper would be easy and fun.
    you would just have to have a tub of spent developer ( and fix ) in a developer tent ..
    shoot. develop. wash probably less than 5 mins
    they could look at the "proof" and come back when all the fix is washed out ..
    10-15mins later ...

just find a place to shoot that is not direct light .. not shadowy
    efke is pretty contrasty stuff ( like most photo paper ) ... and your exposures
    might be in the 1 second range ..

good luck!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go for it - compromise and take half of the money down, just to cover out of pocket. Ditto on the assistant. You'll need one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good idea. If it were me, I'd go with a crown graphic and instant film e.g. PA45 back and fp100b/100c. Your profit margin would then be much narrower than it would be with ordinary film, but people really conditioned to see results quickly.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would prefer a wooden field camera. Would look more authentic I think.
    But the instant film is a nice idea.

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin