Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,256   Online: 1013

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Maris the timeframe will help me a lot. However I think I can shorten it by using a developing machine from Durst or thermaphot. I can use a darkroom tent or something to load up the machine and to load up the negative holders. But I was thinking for an extra hand.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it's a good idea. I've been doing something similar in my business (violin shop) for about a year. If a customer buys an instrument they are offered a free photo, taken with a 4x5 Deardorff view camera. The people who go for it usually are girls and women (boys generally decline the offer).

In addition to honing my portrait skills using existing indoor light, it has been positive for my business. A few days later I give them a toned dry-mounted 8x10 fiber print and a few extra RC prints. One print is mounted on the photo board. So customers see their smiling friends and classmates on the board, mounted prominently on the wall by the sales counter.

It's a little different from what you want to do, but I've had a blast and I believe it sets my business apart from others, and also demonstrates a high level of expertise that is today rather uncommon in small retail businesses. And it has led to a small income stream from additional print orders.

photo boad
    Last edited by jscott; 10-09-2011 at 12:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Peter, Harman Direct Positive RC is a definite possibity.

I use it in the 8x10 format in my own studio and darkroom. From the sitter coming in to the sitter going out with photographs is about 30 minutes including 15 minutes drying time. Usually I have a darkroom helper and all I do is the camera work and banter with the subject until the pictures are delivered. If I have to do the job single handed I take the client into the darkroom so they can see (dark red safelight!) what happens. So far no one has reported being bored by watching their image come up in a tray of developer.
    Good morning, Maris;

That is the magic. That is what sets film apart from digital; seeing the image appear when you reach the later stage of development. If more people can actually watch this happen with their own photographs, film will be assured of a long life well into the future.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin