Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,894   Online: 977

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Event photography with LF

In my hometown there is a summer festival that includes an "Old Times Market". You are supposed to only sell stuff that belongs in "the old days" (40-50 years +) and be dressed appropiatly. It is very popular and thousands of people visit it.
    What about event photography on such an occassion. A wooden field camera, hood, "look at the birdie", sepia prints to show, dressed like an old-timer. The whole enchilada. You could take portraits against a back-drop, change negatives in a tent and save them in a dark cooler. Afterwards you develope, print and maybe sepia tone them. And post them to the happy owners.
    I was thinking 20€/each + 5 for toning. Would not make any money but could be fun.
    Has anyone tried anything like this? Any experiences? Stupid idea?

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its a very good idea in my opinion!

Cheers Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gear up for it and make ready for work. Sounds like you might have some fun and get paid to do it, not to mention putting some experience under your cap.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great idea.

How about "Polaroid" 4x5s?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I'm wondering is wheter you would get any customers? Or just stand there the whole day while everybody is taking pictures of you and your antique equipment with their shiny new digitals. And then it starts raining......

r

Mats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Event photography with LF

I am reposting this from another forum as I hope to get some more feedback and/or info on this. Has anyone tried it?

-----------------
    Repost:

In my hometown there is a summer festival that includes an "Old Times Market". You are supposed to only sell stuff that belongs in "the old days" (40-50 years +) and be dressed appropriately. It is very popular and thousands of people visit it.
    What about event photography on such an occassion. A wooden field camera, hood, "look at the birdie", sepia prints to show, dressed like an old-timer. The whole enchilada. You could take portraits against a back-drop, change negatives in a tent and save them in a dark cooler. Afterwards you develope, print and maybe sepia tone them. And post them to the happy owners.
    I was thinking 20€/each + 5 for toning. Would not make any money but could be fun.
    Has anyone tried anything like this? Any experiences? Stupid idea?

r

Mats
    Last edited by Mats_A; 04-06-2010 at 02:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it is a wonderful idea. Perhaps you can do it with somebody that does the darkroom bit while the customers are doing their shopping. I think you can do within an hour developing negative and a contct print. If you test it before hand you can decide wht the epxosure times would etc. Would it be 8x10?
    I know of a photographer that does something like that as well. All dressed up and using an old view camera. Let us know how it went afterwards.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter de Groot View Post
    I think it is a wonderful idea. Perhaps you can do it with somebody that does the darkroom bit while the customers are doing their shopping. I think you can do within an hour developing negative and a contct print. If you test it before hand you can decide wht the epxosure times would etc. Would it be 8x10?
    I know of a photographer that does something like that as well. All dressed up and using an old view camera. Let us know how it went afterwards.
    Hmm.. an 8x10 would of course be simpler as you can sell contact prints. I was thinking 4x5 and enlarging and posting the prints. But a 1 hour Old Time photo boot would be very hard on logistics. IF you get many customers you have to have a setup running to and from the darkroom. And I was thinking of FB papers so there is the matter of drying.

The funny thing is I don't even own an LF camera yet. What would be a good set for this? Must look right but also function. What lense size?
    So much I don't know.

r

Mats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Logistics would be hard. But I do think that contact printing on 8x10 would be quickest. With a jobo processor you would be able to devolop the negatives. Then contact print and develop. The drying you can do with a press so you can get a glossy finish. I would give it a dry run first so you can finetune the process. Also you if it gets really busy you can stop an hour before closing time to get everything done.

Anyway if you do 4x5 you would need a 4x5 enlarger as well. I can't recommend a wooden field camera but there are lots of people who can. Good luck with your choices.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    great idea but, I think you could & should charge more.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin