Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,452   Online: 908

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

4x5 monorail: tripod head help/suggestions

hello all. Im fairly new to the forum but have found it insanely informative so thanks in advance.

Im in need of a stable fairly inexpensive tripod head for my cambo SC monorail 4x5.

Weight is obviously a consideration, but more importantly, cost. I dont have a whole lot of money so Im trying to find a good (even used) head to use with the beefy bogen/manfrotto legs I already have. the head I presently have just doesnt cut it. The base is too small and the quick release plate remains entirely two loose when the camera is on the tripod. Presently I just use my 3way head with my 35mm and hasselblad and when I shoot with the 4x5 I just attach it directly to the center column which is RIGID and stable as can be. But this doesnt allow any movement so leveling is entirely done through the leg adjustments........ way too inconvenient. it works for now. but Id like to get something a little more convenient.
    I do most of my shooting fairly close to the car (when hiking I just use my crown graphic for compactness) but I often times will carry my 4x5 over the shoulder on the tripod a fair distance. I dont mind lugging the weight, it seems worth the final product.

Id appreciate any ideas or input people might have, as Im fairly new to 4x5.

thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a Manfrotto 029/Bogen 3047 3-way head, as it is quite cheap and uses inexpensive and readily available QR plates. This will hold up to 7.5Kg and weighs in at just over 1Kg. The QR mechanism has a lock and is inherently self adjusting. It may not be elegant, but it works.

If you are tempted by a ball head, make sure it has friction control.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have used the 3047 head with everything up to and including my 8X10 Deardorff. If you are interested in a used head, Ebay has them and I have one that I would sell.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    the bogen 3047 head and the bogen 3057 heads are the two that seems best and most economical (a ball head is WAY out of budget)

Donald how much would you like to sell the head for? I am interested for sure.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I will send you a PM.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin