Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,831   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

folding field camera that can take XL lenses

My LF work has been stagnant in part because it's just hard to lug my Cambo Legend and tripod anywhere. So I'd like to get a field camera, but I'm not sure which ones can actually fit my Schneider 90/5.6 XL, which is a frickin' enormous lens (let alone have some movements with it).
    Paul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I dont know what field camera it is, but my buddy had one where he had to unscrew the rear element to mount lens board on the camera, pop off the ground glass and screw it on from the backside. This is always an option and just something to think about......hope this help some what. PS I have a toyo 45AII and a Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f/5.6 (not the xl) and it has plenty room to fit the lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Probably a Shen-Hao.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure how big the non-XL is, but the XL's rear element is huge, 86mm.
    Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The hole on the front standard of a Technika, and presumably any camera that uses Technika lensboards with the circular light trap, is 86mm, so it should just clear. I know I've seen a 90mm S-A XL mounted on a Technika, but I don't know if it was necessary to remove the rear cell and screw it in through the back of the camera to do it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know the Walker Titan cameras can as well -- but these are pretty expensive and never show up on the used market
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Wista 4x5 DX won't work with this lens and I don't even think any wooden field camera would support a lens of this magnitude. And given how long it takes to set up a 4x5 shot, I don't think it's unreasonable to take that extra 50 seconds it would take to do the steps required to take off the ground glass, mount the rear cell and remount it. You could scrap the idea of a field camera all together and get a lighter view camera if possible.

I would rather add on some extra time setting up or cope with lugging around a larger/heavier system to make it work for the quality of the shot. But that's just my opinion. I have a feeling you'll have to spend a lot of money to get what you're looking for. It's probably not what you want to hear, but it might be a dose of reality if what you're looking for cannot be found.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The opening on Toyo 4x5 field cameras (45A, etc) is 90mm x 90mm, so your Schneider SA 90/5.6 XL should just fit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Wisner 4x5, Ebony SV45U2 and Carbon Infinity, all using a bag bellows, will all allow use of the 90mm S-A XL with full movements. Of these, the Ebony requires removing part or all of the rear element to clear the opening in the front standard; the Wisner and the Carbon Infinity will accept the rear element with no problems.

If you look on the Ebony site, you can see where at least some of the non-folding SW series cameras that have fixed bellows will also allow use of this lens. I have a WIDE45, which predates the SW45, that allows full movements with the 90 XL even with its fixed pleated bellows and 100mm back extension.

Usually, I prefer removing the rear section of the rear element housing rather than removing the entire rear element to mount the lens on the Ebony cameras. This reduces the diameter from 86mm to 78mm, which is small enough to allow the main body of the rear element to pass through the circular opening of the front standard.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mike Walker does a very nice 5x4 Tital XL Camera that is optimised around the Schneider XL lenses - http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_4x5.html

I have a freind who has one and he is very very happy with it

However, it is a non-folder but they compact up to be not much different in size to a folder

Just my $0.02

Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin