Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,177   Online: 938

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bright screen

Oh - and just ordered a Fresnel screen. Lately found focussing with the Rodenstock APO Sironar S 150mm/5.6 difficult in dim light. Have a friend who went with the Nikon 90/F8 and he has real problems in low light. But for reasonable light conditions (i.e. up to 1/2hr before sunset), havn't had problems focusing with the slowest lens (5.6).

The air between the lens and film in a Shen-Hao is the same as that in an Ebony

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the feedback so far- I am a little surprised at the 210mm bellows limit, I have a 12 inch Artatr that I use quite a bit, when I mentioned it to Jeff at Badger he didn't bat an eye. Are you sure this sucker is that short? That's a major bummer if I can't use that lens, maybe a showstopper in fact. Otherwise the camera sounds great all in all.

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mobtown_4x5
    Thanks for the feedback so far- I am a little surprised at the 210mm bellows limit, I have a 12 inch Artatr that I use quite a bit, when I mentioned it to Jeff at Badger he didn't bat an eye. Are you sure this sucker is that short? That's a major bummer if I can't use that lens, maybe a showstopper in fact. Otherwise the camera sounds great all in all.

Matt
    Mine easily streches out to the 360mm that the camera can extend. The bag bellows is limited to about 200mm (I never measured it). I hardly ever use the bag bellows, even with a 65mm lens. This is because I can't get a recessed lensboard for this lens (size 00 shutter) and without it has no real room to move in the frame of the camera. With a 90mm I usually get enough movement without the bag as well. I eventually plan on getting a light weight 300mm (12in) lens, but I expect this will be pushing the limits of the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    .. Are you sure this sucker is that short? That's a major bummer if ...
    Matt
    Best check with Jeff at Badger specifically about the max focal length Matt. I would hate to put you wrong. My longest focal length is 150 so it's never been a problem for me. (sorry if I've mislead). J.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Short focal length.

Maybe mine shrunk in the rain.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Matt
    If you go the Shen-Hao website (www.shen-hao.com) you will find that the maximum bellows extension for the 4X5 Shen-Hao is 360mm. That should allow easy use of a 300mm lens.

If you need more bellows draw consider buying a 5X7 Shen-Hao with a 4X5 reducing back. The 5X7 model has 605mm of bellows extension which would allow focus of lenses at close distance of up to about 480mm. An additional advantage of using a reducing back on a larger camera is that internal flare is reduced.

For what it is worth I recently purchased a 5X7 Shen-Hao directly from the factory and am very, very pleased with it. For the money there is no doubt in my mind but that it offers more value for the money than a new 5X7 Tachihara or a used 5X7 Deardorff. The quality of finish is very high and it is one of the most stable field cameras I have ever used, and if you need them it has more movements than most other field cameras. The only 5X7 to match the Shen-Hao in stability and movements is the Ebony, but at about 3.5X the price. Note however that the 5X7 Shen-Hao is a different design than the 4X5 model.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pardon my ignorance Sandy but what do you mean by "internal flare".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Pardon my ignorance Sandy but what do you mean by "internal flare".
    Internal flare is caused by reflections off the bellows. The closer the bellows is to the film the more likely it becomes. In theory you will get less flare when shooting 4X5 film on a 5X7 or 8X10 camera with a reducing back than with a 4X5 camera. Depending on a variety of factors, such as lighting conditions, size of camera, type of lenses and internal bellows material, flare could range from too little to be of any consequence to fairly significant.

Sandy King

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, I did it. The 4x5 (Jeff doesn't carry the 5x7). I'm not sure how close I will be able to focus with the 300mm, after infinity, I will have another 60mm of extension. Is there a formula for this?
    I skipped the extra screen, I haven't had problems with ordinary GG on my GVII so I am going to wait and see on that.
    I'm leaving for a once-in-a-lifetime oppurtunity tommorrow night, the camera is supposed to be here Fedex tommorrow, but I will be at work, I'm not sure if I will be able to get it before I leave or not, maybe for the best. Ineed to get these shots and learning a new camera could put a kink in the works...on the other hand It could be magic I just don't know...

Thanks for all the responses.

matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I did it.....
    I'm leaving for a once-in-a-lifetime oppurtunity tommorrow night ...
    Good onya Matt, looking forward to seeing the results.
    p.s.
    I hear the weather is good on Mars this time of the year .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin