Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,002   Online: 868

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Beattie Intenscreen on the Shen-hao

I just received a Beattie Intenscreen last Thurs for my 4x5 field camera. It's a great deal brighter than the glass that came with the Shen-Hao and I already found it helps a lot for composition and focusing.
    You do have to move your eye in line with the screen to focus specific areas. But this was necessary in dim light situations with the orig screen anyway.
    It is a little difficult using a loupe because of the pattern on the fresnel lens, but I've had success with a 4x loupe (wouldn't try anything with greater magnification). For the basic initial focussing it's excellent. Have even set the plane of focus without a loupe - something I could never do with the old glass screen.
    All in all I would agree with Jorge, it's has been a good investment for dim light situations.

L Gebhardt - don't know what the Shen-Hao comes with, but I recon I could make one as good with an old window pane and some sandpaper

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Would a Acid Etched GG work better with eh Shen Hoa or is the Beattie the way to go.

I just want to be able to compose better. I use the 4x loupe so focusing isnt a problem just the composition is what is killing me.

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto
    Would a Acid Etched GG work better with eh Shen Hoa or is the Beattie the way to go....
    Hi Kev, with the Beattie screen it does appear more difficult to view the whole image at once. If the acid etched is brighter than the ground glass that the Shen-Hao came with, you may find it to be adequate. Unfortunately I haven't compared them both so I can't really make a suggestion. But I find the Beattie great once you get used to the screen texture (and very bright).
    John.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    How hard is it to focus it with the 4X loupe. Also what cloth are you using? The one that comes with the kit does not seem very good. Do you find it ok? Or are you replacing it as well?

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find it fine to focus with the 4x loupe. It's necessary to align your eye and loupe more precisely due to the light of the refracted image being more aligned. But the extra brightness more than makes up for this inconvenience to me. Another nice convenience is to get a built-in rubber eyepiece & ground glass guard on the loupe. This can allow hands free viewing through loupe - v handy for setting focussing plane.

I persevered with the included dark cloth for a while then ended up getting the BTZS 4X5. This one loops around the back of your head (or shoulders) so it won't slip off. the velcro along the bottom makes the viewing space darker but allows easy access for focussing - big help in bright sunlight. It was worth the extra expense, I use the old one to sit on for lunch :-)

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    What is the link to the BTZS one so I can check it out.

Oh I tell you, loading your own film into the holders it not a big deal. I will not be buying readyloads as I am content with doing it myself and saving a ton of money.

I have the Toho Loupe that comes with a rubber peice for the eye adn the ground glass. Looks like I waill have to save some money for the new ground glass, the beattie one unless I can find a nice acid etched one.

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dark cloth ...
    http://www.badgergraphic.com/search_product2.asp?x=3152

Sounds like you're on the right track. How did the outing go yesterday? Got those movements sorted?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin, another focusing cloth to check out is the Blackjacket (TM).

http://www.quietworks.com

I just bought a Blackjacket and it is great! It is like having a very light weight darkroom around your camera's focusing screen. For the first time, I can see the whole screen (acid etched glass) on my 8x10, even with the lens stopped way down. The Blackjacket does not fall off or blow off.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks for the link. I think I am getting the hang of it. I posted one image in the critique gallery.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=552

I think I have fallen in love with LF. It is a new way of seeing and I really like that image inverted. Very cool. I was used to viewing images backwards in my MF but upside down is really cool. I had a really nice river shot but I didnt see the lens flare sothe image is unuseable. Major bummer.

I like how I can have the foreground in focus all the way to the back not to mention the control you have over your images.

I need to get out and use it more and I am hopeing to get out this week and do more playign around. I am almost at the point of sellgin my 6x17 camera as I do not knwo if I am going to use it again. And the more I look at it I think an 8x10 will be in my furture. But that is way down the road, maybe a year or two. I really want to learn the 4x5 inside and out.

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Tom,

That also look very interesting. Is it easy to work with? I like how it goes black. This may solve my problem and let me continue to use the screen I have now. It was jsut hard to see the other day when I was out with the sun right behind me on a few of the shots.

Thanks for the link,

Kev

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin