Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,218   Online: 915

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Question on Beatie screen.

I ahve been out shooting with the camera and mainly in the forest area. I have 5.6 lenses but the screen I have that comes with the camera is dark and hard to focus.

Is the Beattie Intenscreen with Grid worth the money? Will it really help so I can see better when trying to focus?

If not then I will just have to deal with what I have. On my MF camera I replaced the screen with the Acute-Matte screens and they made a big difference.

Thanks again to everyone,

Kev

Images
    I asked this question a couple of weeks ago. The main theme in the answers were the following.

1) IT will only be brighter looking straight on the ground glass with both eyes, not when focusing with a loupe.

2) A good acid etched GG will make a pretty good difference between an old dirty sand blasted one.

I decided to try a new GG and bought one from Dagor77 on eBay (I think that is his name) and it has made a big difference.

Hoope this helps.

Brian
    hi!

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you determine if the new glass is acid etched or ground? Is it a considerable improvement in low light situations or only for bright scenes?

From the responses it sounds as if a fresnel screen is not the best solution unless you are using only one lens with a focal length that "matches" the fresnel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a fresnel (my spelling) to frame with wider lenses (f/4,5 -5,6) and take it off for fine focus. I find I don't need it for anything longer than normal. Mine is a sinar brand (as is my camera), but have read good things about

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gma
    From the responses it sounds as if a fresnel screen is not the best solution unless you are using only one lens with a focal length that "matches" the fresnel.
    It doesn't have to be a close match. You will see the differences when switching from WA lenses to normal or to long focal lengths. Going from a 150 to a 210 shouldn't be much if any differences. This is little different from changing condensors in an enlarger when changing the lens. The fresnel is merely a lens that has been collapsed down in concentric segments. A side profile will show the curvature of the lens, each fresnel has its focal length and can focus an image at that distance like any other lens.
    Gary Beasley

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kev,

Are you using a loupe as a focus aid. Without a loupe I would not be able to get precise focus on the 104mm, f/6.3 lens I use.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Yes,

My main concern is really to be able to see the overall composition clearly. Oh a bright day it is fine it is when I am in shaded areas is when I have the problems. And since I do a lot in areas like this I need to find a way to get more light through to the ground glass.

Thanks,

Kev

Images
    It is acid etched, and it has made an overall difference. My lenses are all F9, so every bit counts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3823054664
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have one installed in my 4x5 and I think it was a good investment. That said, my Gandolfi 8x10 comes with what appears to be acid etched glass and it is very bright considering it is not a fresnel. By far the beatti is brighter though, I can usually focus with it using only a folding hood, not a dark cloth.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Does anyone know what the glass is on the Shen-Hao?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin