Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,848   Online: 888

Thread: Nikkor M or M

Nikkor M or M

I have been looking for a lens to do some 8x10 portraits. I tried my 10 3/4" Dagor (a bit short) and my 19" Artar (with the bellow draw needed a C-clamp to keep my camera from falling apart!) Tested a friend's Nikkor-M 300mm and that seemed about what I was looking for. Came across a Nikkor-W 300mm for sale and was wondering what the "W" buys me? The angle of view of the M is 57 degrees, the W is 70 degrees. Would both lenses, positioned at the same distance from the same object produce the same image? Does the "W" just mean I get some extra movement in exchange for the extra weight of the lens? BTW, "M" is a f9 lens, "W" is a f5.6. Thank you for all your feedback....... lyle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    These two lenses are very different animals.

The M is much lighter, is in a copal 1 shutter, and has a 325mm image circle. The W is heavier (by 2pounds), is in a copal 3 shutter, and has a 420mm image circle. The W take 95mm filters, the M takes 52mm filters.

Which one to chose depends on your needs. The W weighs almost as much as my M and camera (toho) combined.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin