Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,763   Posts: 1,670,806   Online: 750

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

homemade shutter (BIG)..

I have a really nice "norka" barn door shutter in my possession.

A student of mine has decided to build him self a big camera, so he "just" copied the shutter, but made it MUCH bigger..

I am quite impressed! it works fine. The fun part was to hear where he got the bits and pieces for it.. (his father is a doctor, so some stuff comes from a doctors office - some come from the inside of an old broken DVD player... and so on.

I'll show you a couple of images here. First the original Norka - then Christian's.

(maybe there could be a market for this? I hear all the time, that people wants a BIG shutter for their BIG lenses, and this will accept very big ones.!)

Anyway, I was surprised how "easily" he made this lens.

But it needs a large lens board.

(I'll check the exact mesurements tomorrow and provide them..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails norka-open.jpg   IMG_0097.jpg   IMG_0100.jpg   IMG_0108.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are these photos of a lens as such?

Tom

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Piston for a barn door shutter?

Hello;

I have been lucky and could by a "Norka studio camera" a few days ago.
    The barn door shutter needs a new piston (stempel) and a new air bulb.
    As usually, I searched the web. Got two hits, both from a gentleman called "Gandolfi"....

Any suggestion of what I can use as a piston (stempel)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0056.jpg   IMAG0057.jpg   IMAG0065.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's pretty creative to be able to build something like that. Also find it kinda funny that there is a little tube of 35mm next to it in the pics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OMU : you could try a pneumatic (air ) release : commonly available,and comes complete with tubing and a rubber bulb.

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hallo Emil;

To night I have made a new ground glass. Bought velvet grinding pasta and used 15 min and I had a perfect new ground glass. No problem at all. Works perfectly :-)

No I have to solve the problem with the shutter. I'll try to find anyone that sells me that kind of pneumatic release you recommend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, that's very inspiring. I tried to build shutters myself, but size was always a problem. The biggest so far was a spring (actually rubber band) driven guillotine shutter with 2,75" diameter opening and that one's already monstrous and hard to build bigger. Well, at least it gave me about 1/80 sec as minimum reproducible speed.
    Which brings me to my question: How fast can you go with these barn doors? At this size, it's hard to imagine, they'd be much faster than the good old hat exposure.

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Moki;
    I realy don't know howe fast it can go before I solve the problem with the release.
    But, when using the camera in a dark studio/room. It's so litle light that influens the film, that is't any problem. The light from the studioligt dominates the exsposer.
    But, I'l work with the shutter anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have any large format, but those look neat none the less!

Jeff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin