Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,257   Online: 819

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have '41 and a later model Speed Graphic with the rotating graphloc backs. I've used it several time for beach portraits when I don't want to take the 8x10 or my Hassey. I would really like a Horseman instead. The graphics are good entry level work horses.
    It would be a good idea to get the range finder calibrated if you are going to hand hold and shoot the way they were designed to be used. You also have to make sure that it is calibrated for the lens' focal length. I have one for the 127mm Ektar which is what was typically used on these.
    Steve Grimes in R.I. does a lot of my Large Format equipment work. He's one of the best.
    Multi Format shooter
    Southern California

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cheryl,
    Welcome to LF, from another newbie. I bought a Crown Graphic less than a month ago. One modification I did was to make an "architectural grid" on the ground glass. It helps in composition and in my case to keep the horizon horizontal. I found it very useful on my 35mm cameras (Nikon makes these focusing screens) and found it would be useful with LF also.

If you want to try that - make the grid on a piece of cardboard the same size as the ground glass, splitting the horizontal into 3 equal parts and the vertical into 4 equal parts, fix the ground glass on the cardboard, with the reflective side facing you and trace the lines with a thin marker.

You may also want to get the shutter speeds caliberated. Exercise the shutters at various speeds a few times and take it to a camera repair shop. They should be able to provide you with the expected range at each shutter speed and the actual speed. I found that my shutter was way off at 1/200th of a second and out of tolerance limits at 1/5th. The rest of the speeds were within the tolerance limits. Mine is a compur shutter, BTW.
    Last edited by Shesh; 07-07-2004 at 09:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: One other thing...
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Cheryl,
    also... you will want to do a good cleaning out of the bellows' interior as well as the shutter curtain. The dust from time and the fibers from the aging curtain will be attracted to the film as soon as you pull the trigger. Those big negatives are excellent magnets for dust. That was a lesson I learned on "me onesy".
    Multi Format shooter
    Southern California

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to Large Format Cheryl. What a nice addition. Exercise that old focal plane shutter so you can play with some of the different "portrait" lenses from the same era. Most don't have their own shutter so you use the one in the camera. You have 2 shutters right now. One is a leaf shutter built into the Kodak Supermatic. I'm assuming it's a 127mm f4.7 Ektar. And the other is the focal plane shutter built into the Speed with the little number windows. Lenses with built in leaf shutters work best for most things. Especially if you want to sync a flash. Later when you're comfortable with the old girl, ask me about Heliar's and Verito's.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    Cheryl, I've posted a manual for the Anniversary Speed Graphics (that's what yours is) on my site.
    http://simmonsphotos.com/Graflex/Anniversary/Ann1.html
    Thanks for sharing Juan. Appreciated.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Check out www.graflex.org
    You will find the answer to your questions, even those that you haven't thought of asking yet!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the great info.

Juan, many thanks for the manual!

Dave, I found the graflex.org site last night, and got some very useful stuff there, too. Fabulous resource.

Mark, yeah, I need to have the whole thing cleaned and adjusted. I can already see some quirks that need to be ironed out. Twenty years in storage probably wasn't the best for it. The dust thing would definitely drive me nuts. (Learned it all on your onesy, eh George Jungle?)

Photomc, yup, got a few holders to start off with. I've got the Ektar 127 Supermatic lens, and will have fun accumulating some 'new' ones. Maybe Jim can give me some helpful hints on those old portrait lenses -- the older the better. Shesh, yeah, still have to figure out the calibration 'shtuff.' I'm at the base of the learning curve here, but my obsessive compulsive tendencies ought to get me moving pretty quickly.

Thanks, again. Expect some bonehead questions from me in the weeks to come.

Cheryl,
    you have your talkies mixed up... it's Capt. Jack Sparrow. Remember?
    Multi Format shooter
    Southern California

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Of course I remember.... but I figured you must be George Jungle, since 'only here to help.'

(Maybe George Jungle impersonating Capt Jack...)

Ahh... one more thing if you are out in the field and the shutter gets sticky on the Ektar. A small bottle of Ronsinol (cigarette lighter fluid) is handy to get you through the shoot. It frees up the shutter then evaporates. This is used sparingly. If you dump it in... it can get to the lens coating then it's lights out.
    Obviously the best thing to do is to have Steve Grimes CLA it. But working in the cold, it's going to get draggy. I've used this trick for a long time on all my old lenses. My Commercial Ektar, Imagon and #5 shutter for the 14" Verito are the exceptions as these I keep tuned up regularly. It's the little ones that can be a problem.
    Multi Format shooter
    Southern California

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin