Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,658   Online: 971

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After you've had time to play with the Speed and want to shoot faster you might want to look for a Grafmatic or a Kinematic film holder or two. The Grafmatics hold 6 shots and a fairly easy to find, I have 6 or 7 of them now, and the Kinematics hold 10 shots and are harder to find, I've only seen two listed on Ebay. They allow rapid shooting with the 4x5 camera, able to change a film out in about a second once you get familiar with using them. I like them because I can pack more film in a smaller space in my camera pack.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Way cool, Cheryl! Bobby has a Crown Graphic and loves it! Just one more camera for his ever growing collection. You'll love it once you get going with it. Look forward to seeing what you get with it.

Dorothy--

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Welcome to the wonderful world of LF Cheryl. These older LF cameras are great, I use the British equivalent, an MPP. They're wonderful pieces of engineering built to last.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Cheryl, another thing I just thought of since you specialize in photographing children. I grew up sitting in front of my Dad's Graphic (I can even remember him buying it and Mom can't) and I was always totally fascinated by the routine of actions and sounds that he went through in the process of making a shot. Maybe its just my inclination, but it held my attention and eased the "pain" of being posed.

All that being said, I have never missed flash bulb spots in my eyes.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Cheryl,
    I just posted some photo's that I shot with my speed graphic in my personal gallery. I think you will find it fun to play with. I had a good time with mine on the 4th. When you take it out in public, you'll get all kinds of looks and comments. Get yourself a grafmatic or two and have a ball.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only caution on the grafmatics - sometimes the older Speeds don't open quite wide enough to take a grafmatic. My 1945 Anniversary is an extremely tight squeeze. The older spring backs don't open nearly as wide as the later graflock backs. You might want to find one somewhere and be sure your camera will take it. Otherwise, just do some market research on price, and if you don't pay too much, you can always sell a grafmatic and get your money back if it won't fit.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the help, guys! I finally managed to shoot my first few frames today. Considering that I had no idea what I was doing, I was pretty happy that two of my six frames actually had an image on them. LOL. Seriously, it's so different. Between figuring out how to load the film holders, working with a quirky lens in need of some TLC, remembering that whole sequence of exposing the film, and figuring out tray processing, I consider 33% to be a pretty decent success rate. And it might have been an even 50%, but I'll never know -- I dropped a sheet on the way into the developer. Woops.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Cheryl Jacobs] I consider 33% to be a pretty decent success rate.
    So do I Cheryl, mine was nearer 10% first time around.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Cheryl:

I use my speed graphic every day and teach with it as well. I also live in Denver. I'd be glad to meet you sometime and show what I know about them

Thom Harrop

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thom, that would be great! I'm pretty much all thumbs with it right now. Part of my problem is that I can't tell what's just me being clumsy and what might be a problem or quirk with the camera. I'll drop you a PM.

- CJ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin