Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,477   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Help with Speed Graphic

Got my Speed Graphic today. Too cool!! The serial number dates it to 1941, which, to my hopelessly romantic nature, is enough to give me goose bumps.

So, my first question...... am I actually supposed to *see* something on the ground glass? LOL. Not sure what I need to do. Something with the lens? Something with the focal plane shutter? Hell, I don't even know enough to know what my question is. I did download a manual, which was quite helpful, however I believe it's from at least twenty years after my particular model's manufacture date.

- Clueless in Denver

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a Speed as well. Really funky for sure. I don't really use the shutter so just use the usual open and close mechanism on the lens. Where did you get the manual from as I want to download one too.

Thanks,

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Eric, and that open-and-close mechanism would be....where? LOL.

I got the manual from ManualsRUs.com .

- C

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Congratulations Cheryl and welcome to the world of large format. Been too long since I was around a Speed, but, if I remember right, you have to open the lens and the focal plane shutter to see through the GG. That's assuming the lens has a leaf shutter on it.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Alex, yeah, I figured. My problem is that I've got no idea how to do that. LOL. My camera is slightly different than the one shown in the manual, so I'm a bit lost as to how to open the focal plane shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi cheryl

speed graphics are alot of fun!
    not sure if you know about graflex.org ... they have a ton of info on speed graphics & other graflex / graphic cameras ( maybe you got your manual there?)

anyways, look on the side of your camera. ( the side with the wind-key )
    you should see a little window with numbers in it. with the number on "0" the focal plane shutter is de-wound and wide open so you can use a shuttered lens. if it is on "T" it is blocked by the cloth - just depress the shutter button ( same side as the little window ) until it is on "0"
    not sure what lens you have, but if you put the shutter on "T" it will be open for a timed exposure and you can focus on the ground glass ... you can also do the same thing with a cable release and the shutter on "B" ...

welcome to the world of LF !

- john
    ( 54 pacemaker speed graphic )

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ahhhh. OK, I'm getting this now. My lens is a Supermatic, which means there's a little button on the left side of the lens which I have to press to keep the blades open. When I do that, set the O, and coax just a little (looks like the curtain tension spring has seen better days) I can get the image on the ground glass. And thus a monster is born! LOL.

This is cool. I did manage to figure out that this is an Anniversary model.

Here's another stupid question for you. Um... where's the shutter?? This camera came with a cable release on it, and I'm not sure where the 'shutter button' is. There is a shutter button, no?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheryl,

the shutter has 2 levers. The one that is bigger in diameter and is knurled (I am assuming your shutter is similar to the two supermatics I have for my ektar lenses.) is the cocking mechanism.

The other lever trips the shutter.

The silver ring or front plate controls your shutter speed. If it is an older flash supermatic it will have two sets of speeds. 1/25th-1/400th in black and 1/10th-T in red. The whole ring turns. Set the camera on various speeds, cock the shutter and trip it. you will get an idea how accurate the shutter is on the longer times.

The pointer on the bottom moves to set the F stop.

Set the shutter on T, cock and trip the shutter. The shutter is now open and you can now focus and compose. Move the f stop marker back and forth and you can see the aperture change through the ground glass.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheryl, ISN'T it GREAT!!!!! I have a Crown Graphic that I picked up a couple of years ago. Really have not had to enjoy it yet, but hope to soon. BTW the Crown differs from the Speed in that it is a little smaller because it does not have the rear shutter, just the one for the lens. Which lens did you end up with? Oh! and did you get a few film holders?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheryl, I've posted a manual for the Anniversary Speed Graphics (that's what yours is) on my site.
    http://simmonsphotos.com/Graflex/Anniversary/Ann1.html

As for the shutter curtain on the focal plane shutter, they usually just need exercise. I've loosened them by repeatedly firing them on the lower tensions and gradually increasing the tension. Setting the tension is covered in the manual, too.
    juan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin