Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,407   Online: 728

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Corner clip...

In the case of my Eastman #2, the way that the focus panel is rabbeted for the glass requires a 7/8" corner clip. I wish it were less, and even though I could change it, I'm not about to permanently alter a 90 year old camera.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Images
    Good Evening,

The clipped corners also make focusing easier. Without them, the camera is somewhat air-tight, which means the air inside is either being slightly compressed or a weak vacuum effect occurs, depending on which way the focusing adjustment is being made.

Konical

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    I love shooting in low light - sunrise, on or just after sunset and at night as well. Fresnel helps with all these situations
    I've never taken my Toyo out in those conditions. I'll bet that the fresnel is worth it's weight in gold in those low light situations.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I've never taken my Toyo out in those conditions. I'll bet that the fresnel is worth it's weight in gold in those low light situations.
    I have the fresnel kits in all three of my Toyo 4X5 cameras (a D45A, D45M, and a 45E). They are absolutely the greatest when working with wide angle lenses, and almost a necessity when using something as short and slow as a 65mm f/8 Super Angulon.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    If one has clipped corners (a deformed octagon), what does one see in the corners with no ground glass there? Does this have anythign to do with an 'aerial image'? If so, what is that? (In case you can't tell, theses are obviously newbie questions).

A spin-off question -

Is anyone bothered by glare off the shiny side of ground glass? My darkcloth wasn't dark enough (a jacket) and I kept seeign myself as I tried to loupe my glass (this was a quick thrown-together cardboard box & glass to test a hybrid homebrew lens).

Thanks
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    If one has clipped corners (a deformed octagon), what does one see in the corners with no ground glass there? Does this have anythign to do with an 'aerial image'?
    The corner clip is small; just enough to peek through to take a look at the lens aperture. If you can see the entire aperture, then your format is covered. If part of the aperture is obscured, then coverage is compromised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    I have the fresnel kits in all three of my Toyo 4X5 cameras (a D45A, D45M, and a 45E).
    How much difference do you see between the fresnel kit and the stock Toyo screen? I have a 45AII and considered replacing it with a Beattie IntenScreen, but I wasn't sure if it was worth the cost. I have a 90mm f8 Nikkor that gives me lots of problems; I can only focus if I remove all the filter first.

Thanks,
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    How much difference do you see between the fresnel kit and the stock Toyo screen? I have a 45AII and considered replacing it with a Beattie IntenScreen, but I wasn't sure if it was worth the cost. I have a 90mm f8 Nikkor that gives me lots of problems; I can only focus if I remove all the filter first.

Thanks,
    It's really only necessary (for me) when I'm using slower wide angle lenses. Without the fresnel, I can see OK with my Ilex-Calumet 90mm f/8 Wide Field Caltar, but when I switch to my 65mm f/8 Super Angulon, it's absolutely necessary.

On the subject of the Satin Snow ground glass, I was using my 90mm W.F. Caltar on my 5X7 the other day. All I can say is WOW! I was pushing the coverage of the lens, but I was still bright and claer out to the corners - and with NO fresnel! I'm definately going to put a Satin Snow on all 3 of my Toyo 4X5 cameras.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Oops... I almost forgot...

The frensnel is also a bit plus when using a slow process lens. I use a 305mm f/9 APO-Nikkor as a long lens for portraiture. It makes focusing under the modeling lights a lot easier.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    If one has clipped corners (a deformed octagon), what does one see in the corners with no ground glass there?
    I don't like the clipped corners. The corners can be some of the most important parts of the image. I want to see them with no muss, fuss or excessive thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin