Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,030   Online: 930

Thread: Axis lighting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Axis lighting

I've always been fascinated by the limb effect Edward Weston (and others) got with axis lighting (and I'm talking about with sunlight, not artificial light.) I've gotten that effect in my own photograhs occasionally, but frequently have one big problem.

After carefully setting up the view camera, focusing, etc., I pull my head out from under the dark cloth and realize my shadow, and the shadow of the camera is smack dab in the middle of the scene.

How did Weston avoid this? Longer lens to get the camera farther away? Middle of the day shooting so the shadows are shorter? Something else?
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the things he did was shoot with a Graplex R.B. SLR Camera. Hence the camera position was relatively low.

tim in san jose

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin