Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,188   Online: 940

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Range of focal lengths for an RB Auto

Now that I found a source for Graflex A boards, I am wondering what is the range of focal lengths for a 3.25" x 4.25" RB Auto Graflex? I have a 7 1/2 inch lens [190.5 mm] and I wonder if I could use

• a 90mm lens with the drop front,
      a 127mm,
      a 135mm.

I am concerned that a short focal length lens could interfere with or damage the mirror.

Which are the longest lens practical for this camera, while holding the camera.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Steve,

I believe the standard lens for that camera is something in the 6-7" range. I don't think you can go much shhorter than that. My Series D in that size has a 6 3/4" Kodak Anastigmat. I think that's equivalent to a #32. The Auto Graflex I recently picked up is a 4x5 - from my reading, you can't use anything shorter than about 190-200mm with it.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From Graphic Graflex Photography Ninth Edition by Morgan and Lester:

Chapter 26-Equipment
    Page 381

"The 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 model with bellows capacity of 15 1/2 inches and a lens board measuring 3-1/4 inches square accommodates lenses with focal lengths from 7 to 17 inches. 7 1/2 inch lenses are considered to be standard and are usually supplied with this model."

To answer your question, shorter focal length lenses of standard design will interfere with the mirror when focused at infinity. Steve, one thing to remember about the mirror is that it is probably a front silvered design and the coating will probably be quite fragile. Do not try to "clean the mirror" by wiping it with anything. You would probably destroy the coating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing much shorter than a 150, 152mm really, but it depends if you need to focus to infinity. You can try one out and see when the mirror bumps, you can do this slowly, but the mirror isn't so delicate. Longest? Maybe a 250, depends on how steady you are.

The RB Auto doesn't have a front silvered mirror, unless it was upgraded at some point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan,

Thank you. I have had a suspicion that would be the case. Kodak/Folmer & Schwing would have offered shorter focal lengths if it were possible. I think that the 7 1/2" lens will be good for both portraits and landscapes.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Nothing much shorter than a 150, 152mm really, but it depends if you need to focus to infinity. You can try one out and see when the mirror bumps, you can do this slowly, but the mirror isn't so delicate. Longest? Maybe a 250, depends on how steady you are.

The RB Auto doesn't have a front silvered mirror, unless it was upgraded at some point.
    If I remember correctly, all Graflex SLRs made after about 1937 have front silvered mirrors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    From Graphic Graflex Photography Ninth Edition by Morgan and Lester:

Chapter 26-Equipment
    Page 381

"The 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 model with bellows capacity of 15 1/2 inches and a lens board measuring 3-1/4 inches square accommodates lenses with focal lengths from 7 to 17 inches. 7 1/2 inch lenses are considered to be standard and are usually supplied with this model."

To answer your question, shorter focal length lenses of standard design will interfere with the mirror when focused at infinity. Steve, one thing to remember about the mirror is that it is probably a front silvered design and the coating will probably be quite fragile. Do not try to "clean the mirror" by wiping it with anything. You would probably destroy the coating.
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post

The difference between ~6" and ~10" does not seem to make it worth it to get more lenses.

After I have used this camera a lot I will consider a 4x5 with more movements, but this one will always be special.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    you can use longer lenses
    like the 10" and 15" tele optars

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi there Sirius - The constraints on minimum focal length are pretty much set by the physical layout of the camera. The distance from a fully racked in lensboard to the film plane is something like 165mm, so anything much shorter just won't rack in enough to achieve infinity focus. A 127mm specifically will definitely focus at something like a foot or two, but won't reach infinity. I am assuming that there is no such thing as a large format retrofocus wide angle, but other APUGers will know better than I do. Hope that helps.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Now that I found a source for Graflex A boards, I am wondering what is the range of focal lengths for a 3.25" x 4.25" RB Auto Graflex? I have a 7 1/2 inch lens [190.5 mm] and I wonder if I could use
    • a 90mm lens with the drop front,
      a 127mm,
      a 135mm.

I am concerned that a short focal length lens could interfere with or damage the mirror.
    Which are the longest lens practical for this camera, while holding the camera.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    15 inches sounds interesting.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin