Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,635   Online: 847

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Home-made Polarfleece Lens Socks

I made some Polarfleece lens socks for 4 of my barrel mount LF lenses. I used thick black Polarfleece and found that I needed to use a double layer of Polarfleece to block the light so that I could also use the sock as as a shutter.

I also made a few lens pouches - BTW, Polarfleece is very stretchy stuff to sew.

I posted a couple of pictures in the Standard Gallery.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Tom, fantastic idea. Is it tight to the barrel (i.e. the opening holds firm so as not to slip off) by some elastic or drawstring or is it held fast by simply being on the lens?
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Francesco, the Polarfleece is stretchy enough that the socks stay in place without elastic - so far. I can remove and replace them from the lens without causing camera movement. However, I put in a hem for an elastic band - just in case!
    Tom Hoskinson

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ingenious. I have been trying to think of some way to make a light tight cap for my old Zeiss folder (with a dead shutter) to use for time exposures.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi,
    The polar fleece is wonderful stuff. I made dark cloths out of it. They are soft and light and work well..Evan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tom
    those are ingenius. anyway you could share the "design" details etc? or you want to make more and sell them for a nominal fee? hehe.

would be nice to have a good "shutter" with minimal camera shake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    Tom
    those are ingenius. anyway you could share the "design" details etc? or you want to make more and sell them for a nominal fee? hehe.

would be nice to have a good "shutter" with minimal camera shake.
    They are simple to make if you are handy with a sewing machine. I've been sewing my own backpacking and canoeing equipment for years. I find sewing to be a very theraputic hobby. In keeping with my general philosophy of: "He who dies with the most toys wins." I have three sewing machines (all analog, of course) Two are Swiss Berninas (a 530 and a 730) and the third is an ancient commercial grade Singer on a power table. I sewed my socks with the Singer (less excavation required to get at the machine - no other reason).

I just measure the diameter and length of the lens and make a double layer cylinder of heavy black polarfleece to fit it. I sew an inset circular endpiece in (also double layer). I'll post some photos of the process, if you like.

By the way, I developed 2 sheets (semi-stand Pyrocat-HD) of 8x10 Efke 100 today shot with my barrel mount 305mm Process Apo Nikkor using the sock as a shutter. Biting Sharp!
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Tom, is Polarfleece a brand name or is that the generic term? I am going to look for some here in Stockholm but obviously I would have to get the proper Swedish translation of the material. Regards,
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Hi Tom, is Polarfleece a brand name or is that the generic term? I am going to look for some here in Stockholm but obviously I would have to get the proper Swedish translation of the material. Regards,
    Francesco,
    Polarfleece® is the registered trademark of Malden Mills (USA) for their double sided, high quality, outdoor use, polyester fleece material. There are similar polyester fleece fabrics that are produced by other mills.

A Google search on "polarfleece" will give you a lot of hits, including Malden Mills (who have an online store) and Amazon.com with Polarfleece sewing books.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Many thanks Tom. I am on the case! My wife will be shocked to see me using her Bernina.
    Francesco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin