Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,619   Online: 1270

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What is this Ektar Lens?

See the attached photo. I've seen127mm f4.7 Ektars, and 135mm f6.3 wide-field ektars, but what is a 127mm f6.3 Ektar?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6763.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps it's a wide field Gauss type like the other 6.3 Ektars listed on this page? The VM doesn't say anything about a 127mm 6.3 Ektar though very strange..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe it's an early Commercial Ektar---the serial number is a low number from 1946, which is before the "commercial" name was in use, isn't it?

Otherwise I got nothin'.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look at the serial number. Might be a prototype.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My first thought was a WF similar to the 135 but since it's listed nowhere (not in the VM or anywhere on-line that I found) I was also thinking it could be some sort of test lens. My other thought was maybe some decendant of the cheaper f6.3 anastigmats common on some of the folders.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even Brian Wallen's excellent Ektar site doesn't list that one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I looked at the photo again - notice from the aperture scale that the shutter is from a 127mm f4.7. I know the cells from a 100mm f3.7 Ektar will fit one of those shutters so perhaps that's not so unusual. It doesn't have flash syncro, and it has three tabs that don't look familiar - one for the aperture ring. I wonder what the others are.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kinda suspicious that it's an f6.3 lens with a f4.7 scale. Looking at my 127mm/f4.7 Ektar, I think someone with a fine brush could easily retouch the "4.7" to read "6.3"; perhaps to make some bogus collectible? The markings on my Ektar are engraved into the metal, and I can feel the slight indentation using a small pointed scribe. If you actually get a chance to view this lens, I'd use a loupe and look really hard at the "6.3" to make sure it's not retouched.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i would agree that the serial number indicates a prototype lens.

Also, I found that there was a Kodak Anastigmat 127mm f6.3 made for the kodak 1a model iii folding camera. Perhaps this Ektar was a proposed decendant.

http://homepage.mac.com/fwstutterhei...-02/00495.html

and on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cased-Kodak-1A-S...item45f34b804c
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Darin, thanks for the info. (Apologies to whoever owns this lens for my assuming it's a faked/altered attempt at a "collectable".)

FWIW, I have a 3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic that has a 127mm f4.7 Ektar with a serial number/date of EO693 in a synched Supermatic (X) shutter. While it does not have the circled-L "lumenized" logo that Kodak later used on coated Ektars, mine does appear to be coated. (Slightly rainbowish tinge when looking into the front element.)

Wonder if the lens in Dan's photo is coated?

As the date code is from 1946, there must have been a huge surge in post-WWII manufacturing: perhaps to meet the sales demand, Kodak might have rebadged some old folding camera 127mm f6.3 lenses for use as sales demonstrater models?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin