Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,833   Online: 1113

Thread: gg protector

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

gg protector

This is prompted by an experience I had the other day with an 8x10 to 5x7 reducing back. I had a book covering it as it was out and laying on a case. I must have picked the book up to read it and left the gg exposed. I dropped a lens board, wood, and heard a clunk sound. I immediately thought the gg had been cracked but in actuality it was just the noise of the impact and no glass was broken. Got luck but it was a wake up call.

So I ask, what are you using for a gg protector and / or what method to you use to protect it if you don't use a gg protector. If you have a photo of the one you use could you please show us what it looks like?

Thank you,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

I cut a scrap piece of 1/8-inch mahogany plywood to size, glued felt to one side of it, and attached it to the ground glass surround frame with 4 small pieces of velcro. The plywood is thin enough to cut with a utility knife and very light. It can be found at many lumber/plywood stores, and sometimes is referred to as a "door skin" or "lauan" plywood. If you don't want to go buy a sheet of 4x8' plywood, hobby and craft shops often carry very thin birch plywood. The birch is more rigid and comes in smaller sheets. The felt and velcro are probably on the next aisle over.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter, the Velcro is one way I've seen to attach the protector to the camera, the other is a folded piece of plexi but the plexi holds the back out a bit and the springs are sprung so I wonder if the plexi is for temporary or for storage too. The Velcro adapter doesn't do that so that's a plus. Thanks for the input.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Curt,

My 8.5 x 15 camera from India has a wood GG protector. There are two small wood screws at the bottom of the GG frame that hold pieces of metal on the protector there, and a slide lock at the top. Check the big bay site for pictures of the large Indian cameras. My 6.5 x 8.5 camera also has this feature.

uncle jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Curt,

My Sinar Norma (45, 57, 810) has slider locks on the back similar to the lensboard locks. So I measured carefully with a caliper the dimensions that would be needed to fit a flat piece of plexi into each of those backs, then went to a local TAP Plastics store (Bellevue, WA) and while I waited - just minutes - they cut all three plexi's as close as possible to my dimensions. I took each of my backs with me to do a fit-check in the store. I chose clear polycarbonate material because it's practically indestructible, although it does scratch rather easily though not a problem for this usage (it's also available with AR abrasion resistance if desired). That was about 3 yrs ago and they charged me around $8 for all three pieces, probably more now though. No labor by me and the problem was solved when I left the store. There are stores up and down the west coast. They really treat people well and are very accommodating.

http://www.tapplastics.com/info/polycarbonate.php?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Curt - I've always used the gg protectors made by K B Canham Cameras. They are U shaped plexiglass and fit around both sides of the gg frame. They come in all sizes from 4x5 and up. I especially like them because they protect the inside and I use fresnels that easily scratch.

Fred Newman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not sure if something like this is out there for a 5x7 or 8x10, but I have a couple of pop-up focusing hoods on my 4x5's. They fold flat on the camera and have a hard cover that protects the outside of the ground glass. Very handy even with a dark cloth when focusing in bright sunlight. They also swing open to the side to expose the ground glass entirely--for fine checking focus with a loupe.

The bigger threat I think would be my dropping the entire ground glass assembly--I have to take the whole frame off--while switching from vertical to horizontal framing. (Knock on wood).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frednewman View Post
    Hi Curt - I've always used the gg protectors made by K B Canham Cameras. They are U shaped plexiglass and fit around both sides of the gg frame. They come in all sizes from 4x5 and up. I especially like them because they protect the inside and I use fresnels that easily scratch.
    I second this, they are really good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll look at them as soon as I can and I think revolving backs are great and should be on all cameras. Once you use one you will see.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin