Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,428   Online: 716

Shooter
    35mm

Old Calumet 4x5 and wide angles?

I have one of the older, metal Calumet 4x5 cameras and I'm starting a project that will require a wide-angle. Before I buy a lens, what lenses can I use with this camera? Will it take a 90? 75?

Also, does anyone know if I can buy a longer rail? Is it made of Aluminum? I can't use my 370mm
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It will take a 90mm Super Angulon with a recessed lens board. The recessed board made it a bit hard to use the lens controls though. I used to have that camera and lens in the 70's. Different length rails were also made. Mine had a 16" rail. They also made a 19" and a shorter bag bellowed version.

LarsHennings
    Hi, you should show the camera for there are different from Calumet, often they came from www.Cambo.com .

Gruß
    lars

Images
    Good Morning, BS,

If you're referring to the CC-400 series Calumets, I can attest that the standard model (16" bellows) will take a 90mm without a recessed board. It's tight, though, with limited movements, especially swing and tilt. Calumet did have a recessed board for the WA lenses. I don't see any way that a 75mm could be used without the recessed board.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's a CC-400, one of the old metal grey ones. I went through my stuff and found out that I do have a recessed board, and my 90mm angulon seems to fit inside of it. I will probably use that in the meantime. Would a 75 or 65 work with the recessed board? I have no idea how I'm going to get a cable release attached.

Also, it looks like a longer rail wouldn't help me with the 370mm lens since the bellows is pretty much tapped out anyway. It almost looks like the recessed lensboard flipped around might give me enough to focus infinity with the 370mm though.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need the long rail version to handle the 370mm, 26" rail with a 24" bellows. I have both a standard and long rail model, looking for the short rail with bag bellows to complete the set. You need a cable release adapter tofit inside the recessed bellows. Its a short super flexable one or the 'U' bent style.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    You need the long rail version to handle the 370mm, 26" rail with a 24" bellows. I have both a standard and long rail model, looking for the short rail with bag bellows to complete the set. You need a cable release adapter tofit inside the recessed bellows. Its a short super flexable one or the 'U' bent style.
    I have the 24" rail version. I use it with a 90 mm Super Angulon. I find it is ok for general landscape with objects at infinity and usually enough movement. If you do any architectural work requiring lots of movements the stiff bellows really get in the way. I have also found swing on front or rear standards difficult as the standards almost touch when focused on infinity.

I would think a 75 mm lens almost impossible to work with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome camera! You could give Calumet a call for a longer rail...They actually still stock parts for these! I love mine!!!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

3e8

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a schneider 75mm on mine with a recessed lensboard. Not a ton of room for movements, but enough for landscape type work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good cameras except when you get to lenses very far from normal, especially on the wide end. Expect to be very limited in movement with wide lenses, and very limited in close focusing ability with longer lenses. You could always hack the camera to put a wide angle bellows on. I use the wide angle bellows on my SINAR for all lenses up to 240 mm, unless I need to focus close.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin