Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,126   Online: 1095

Shooter
    Medium Format

Lens Board Light Seal: Felt on Steel

I've modified a Cambo 4x5 lens board to accept my lenses mounted on the Galvin-size boards. The last step is to glue felt strips on the edges of the center hole so light does not leak behind the small lens board into the camera interior.

I'm wondering what glue or adhesive I should use to attach fabric (black felt) to the steel lens board. I don't want the adhesive to soak into the fabric and make it stiff; that would negate having a flexible felt layer to block light.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Rich

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    At a sewing/fabric store, you can buy sheets of felt with an adhesive backing.

Just take a scissors to it, pull off the backing, and stick it on. ©

Charley
    Last edited by c.d.ewen; 06-28-2010 at 11:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At an arts & crafts store, you can buy sheets of 2mm thick foam with an adhesive backing. The brand name is "Foamies". Just take a scissors to it, pull off the backing, and stick it on.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Brian:

Please note edited version of my earlier post

Charley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you already have the felt, there are double-sided tapes that could work.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rich, most probably you don't mean felt but velour.
    Anyway a good cement for such cases is a contact adhesive. as it won't be sucked into the plush if sparcely applied. Over here you can get it in a less honey but more paste-like version, that will even be sucked less. But any glue can easily get messy with strips of velour, by glue reaching the plush side via your fingers. So consider laminating double-sided adhesive tape to the velour and then cutting the needed strip with a sharp knife.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-29-2010 at 10:33 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: paste-like version

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    At an arts & crafts store, you can buy sheets of 2mm thick foam with an adhesive backing. The brand name is "Foamies". Just take a scissors to it, pull off the backing, and stick it on.
    The author would like to sincerely thank c. d. ewen, AKA "Charley" for the inspiration leading to this post, #3 dated "Yesterday, 08:33 PM". Any re-use of words or phrases is stricly coincidental and/or used as allowed by the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright Act. Any non-compliance with the afore mentioned will be promply corrected upon receipt of a certified notice of noncompliance and a non-refundable correction fee of $0.02.

(Got the message, Charley!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all. Self-adhesive foam was just too simple a solution; that's why it didn't occur to me. :-(.

And I do mean felt, not velour, AgX. I actually know the difference. :-)

I like the foam idea as that will provide a better seal than would the felt with double-sided tape.

Rich

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've found a cheap yet very effective solution, I use the felt light trap from film cassettes, when carefully pulled from the cassette after opening it up, the reverse side is plastic coated, which takes a contact/rubber cement or double stick tape very well. The pieces aren't too big but are often just the right size for sealing small projects.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin