Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,599   Online: 896

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Crown Graphic Fresnel?

Is there a way to tell if the fresnel is installed on a Crown Graphic just by looking through the ground glass? Through my research I've discovered the fresnel is a necessary focusing element, but I want to make sure *bay auctions include the fresnel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shouldn't be any problem: open up the lens (or take it away) use a loupe and you should see the fresnel rings - if they are there!
    /Bertil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not all Pacemaker Speed & Crown Graphics came with a fresnel. The difference in overall screen brightness is quite noticeable when a fresnel's present.

The back frame for the original screen/fresnel combination has a different register to the plain screen version because the fresnel is lens side of the screen. You can fit a fresnel to the rear on the plain screen Graphics.

Few sellers mention whether there's a fresnel.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the replies guys. I stumbled upon another test where the guy measured the ground glass to film plane distance. He said there was about a 1mm difference and calibrated the rangefinder to compensate. He then did focus test and everything came out perfect. The conclusion was that there should have been a fresnel (about 1mm thick) in place. Makes sense!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He should have shimmed the screen, which is very simple, because the screen is still out of tolerance so not accurate. So as soon a s any movements are used the range-finder is useless and the screen as well

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The fresnel is nice to have but not a necessity. My old Speed Graphic Anni doesn't have one and it focuses just fine. The rangefinder is spot on as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    The fresnel is nice to have but not a necessity. My old Speed Graphic Anni doesn't have one and it focuses just fine. The rangefinder is spot on as well.
    A fresnel does make a huge difference to overall screen brightness though, over 2 stops when measured with a spot-meter.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertil View Post
    Shouldn't be any problem: open up the lens (or take it away) use a loupe and you should see the fresnel rings - if they are there!
    /Bertil
    You won't need a loupe. The fresnel is very noticeable on the inside - light reflecting off it makes a distinctive pattern. Also, you can feel it.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    A fresnel does make a huge difference to overall screen brightness though, over 2 stops when measured with a spot-meter.

Ian
    I agree that the fresnel makes focusing much easier but to a practiced eye the standard ground glass works well enough. At least for me. I am planning on re-grinding the old screen using your great instructions. Never thought it would be so simple!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin