Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,257   Online: 752

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Should I go for it? (Speed Graphic)

I recently found a Speed Graphic selling for $400. The outfit includes:

-Speed Graphic Graflex
    -Kodak Ektar Lens F:4.7 127mm
    -Hugo Meyer Range Finder
    -Graflex Flash with 2 flash reflectors
    -Kodak Filter #85C Daylight type F color films
    -Series VI Wratten Series K2
    -Series VII Wratten filter A
    -Kodak Series VI Telek Lens 4
    -Kodak Series VII 38mm Adapter Ring 1 & 1/2"
    -Federal Anastigmat F4.5 3.5*...3& 1/2" Lens
    -2 Film Pack Adaptor Graflex No.1275
    -Unused Film Pack
    -Graflex Plate Holder 3& 1/4" X 4& 1/4"
    -Poloroid Difusser

The seller also mentions some cables, but does not know they are for.
    Is this a good deal?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SG1.jpg   SG2.jpg  
    Last edited by bl1nd; 07-03-2010 at 11:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends what you want to do with it. Sounds as if it's a 3¼x4¼ model, films rare and only to special order so expensive

Things like the film pack adaptors are obsolete as you can't get film to fit them, the unused pack will be quite old. It's the least desirable range-finder as it's dedicated to one focal length, and can't be adjusted.

As an entry to LF it's the wrong choice, at best it would be OK with a roll film adaptor and there are plenty of 5x4 Speed graphics for less than that, also other LF cameras that offer far more movements than a Speed Graphic and movements are what LF is really useful for.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite Enticing !

I would certainly be tempted to go take a look at the quality,
    and condition of the equipment. It definitely reads like a good deal.
    The Visual Verification Will Set You, And Some Ben Franklins' Free.

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The cables are for connecting the flash
    It's not an especially good deal IMO. I've seen mint 4x5's in their original boxes selling for that kind of money, but average used ones generally sell for much less.
    3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film isn't common, so getting film and holders will be a bit of a challenge.
    The unused film pack is very old as film packs haven't been made for quite a while. Hence the film pack adaptors don't have much value.
    The filters can be useful if they are in good shape, but not worth more than a few dollars.
    If the flash is the Star Wars lightsaber type, it can be valuable because of that, but as a useful photographic device, not so much, unless you want to explore using flash bulbs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    If the flash is the Star Wars lightsaber type, it can be valuable because of that, but as a useful photographic device, not so much, unless you want to explore using flash bulbs.
    It's a silvery pipe sort of thing... that does resemble a lightsaber. I suppose that's what you mean? Thanks for the advice though!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When we say film for that camera isn't common we mean there only Ilford's yearly ULF film run of FP4 & HP5, and you have to order what you need for a complete year a few weeks in advance. It's not stocked on a dealers shelf.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it an Anniversary or a Pacemaker? Does it have a Graphic back (spring back) or a Graflok back? Graflok back is much more versatile. Factor in some money for potential repairs or a CLA unless you really know how to work on antique shutters. Half of that price would be a much more reasonable figure. Remember that condition has a big effect on value.

Just my two cents worth. By the way, I own and use a Pacemaker Speed Graphic and an Anniversary Speed Graphic in 3-1/4x4-1/4.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    Is it an Anniversary or a Pacemaker? Does it have a Graphic back (spring back) or a Graflok back? Graflok back is much more versatile. Factor in some money for potential repairs or a CLA unless you really know how to work on antique shutters. Half of that price would be a much more reasonable figure. Remember that condition has a big effect on value.

Just my two cents worth. By the way, I own and use a Pacemaker Speed Graphic and an Anniversary Speed Graphic in 3-1/4x4-1/4.
    I uploaded two of the sellers pictures. I honestly cannot tell.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would recommend the Graflex 4x5 but then have you figured out a way to make prints?
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    When we say film for that camera isn't common we mean there only Ilford's yearly ULF film run of FP4 & HP5, and you have to order what you need for a complete year a few weeks in advance. It's not stocked on a dealers shelf.

Ian
    Freestyle also lists Efke PL25 and PL100, but they look to cost more than 4x5 film. I have a 3x4 Graphic on the shelf because I though it would be cool to get one in each format, but I have doubts as to whether it'll ever see any use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin