Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,666   Online: 851

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

65mm Super Angulon

Hi, just picked up one of these, hasn't arrived yet, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with this lens.
    I want to use it on a Linhof Tech. V, if possible, with most likely a 6x12 back.I know it will be a pain in a#@e to see through, but I'll see how it goes.
    If it won't go back far enough on the V, I can use it on a Kardon Color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had one for around 20 years which I use on my Wista. It just covers 5x4 so will be the same with 6x12. It's a little harder to focus than my 90mm f6.8 Grandagon or a 75mm f8 SA but it has so much more DOF that it's not as critical.

You'll need to drop the focus bed or the front will be in the image, I have to use rear & front standard tilt, and front rise, which at first is awkward then you get used to it.

It's possible you need a recessed lens panel, but Linhof sold the 65mm so there should be something in the manuals, mine's Linhof select but came on the baby Linhof board.

Image wise my lens has saved the day a few times with it's wide coverage in tight spots and image quality is excellent, you'd need a centre filter for colour work. Good luck with it.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian. I have a recessed board for it, and I also have the 90mm Grandagon, so I'm used to the whole bed dropping drama. One advantage of 6x12 is that you don't have to drop the bed with the 90mm when shooting landscape format, I suspect that this will change with the 65.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one but I have not used it yet. See my 6x12 wide angle camera link below.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use an older 65/8 Super Angulon in a 00 shutter on my Tech V with the Wideangle Focusing Device, bed dropped two notches. They also made a center filter, which is hard to find, but useful if you can find it. I think there may also be a Heliopan center filter that fits and should work.

It just barely covers 4x5", so it's not a bad choice for 6x12. The attached shot is slightly cropped. I printed it with vignetting in the top corners once for the APUG postcard exchange, and in this case it kind of works. It's quite a sharp image. You can examine the contact print with a loupe and see the church and buildings in the town of Wailua along the Hana road in Mau'i toward the left side of the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wailua,21Aug2005.jpg  
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony if yours is the 00 shutter like mine & David's have fun, the shutter's a bit fiddly, needs a locking cable release as there's no T setting or shutter preview, so you use B & lock it open for focussing. Or maybe your lucky nad have a newer version.

Ian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have one of these lenses too.
    it works very well.
    if you can get a center-filter get it ..
    it is helpful, but unfortunately costs a small fortune.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    if you can get a center-filter get it ..
    it is helpful, but unfortunately costs a small fortune.
    Usually more than the lenses now - well the ones in 00 shutters anyway

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I got very lucky and happened to find the center filter separated from the lens on eBay, and I don't think I was even particularly searching for it, but it came up in a search for something else. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't absurdly expensive either--maybe $125 or so.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I don't know which shutter it has yet, but suspect that it may be the 00. I will keep an eye out for the centre filter, but I only shoot B&W at the moment, and kind of like a little vignetting. I just realised that my spare recessed board has the 0 hole, so I will have to find a way around that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin