Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,921   Online: 1210

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    I only shoot one shot per scene. When I first started out I decided that if the mistakes didn't hurt, I wouldn't learn from them.
    I tend to do the same, and for the same reasons. But i've learnt that contrast control is pretty important for a lot of the situations that I like to photograph. So starting to bracket for that. But on the whole, one situation/one shot (due to impatience to learn not confidence in my abilities).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    I only shoot one shot per scene. When I first started out I decided that if the mistakes didn't hurt, I wouldn't learn from them. When I did my first commercial shoot the marketing director was a bit alarmed by this but I got a year's worth of steady work because I nailed every shot. Boy am I cocky, no I just want to show a different way of looking at it.
    Absolutely! I would need Bill Gates's fortune to be able to bracket 3 or 4 shots with the 12x20!.....one negative, one shot....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Shooting 4x5 as I do, I really don't worry about the cost of film. It works out to just under $1 Cdn a sheet, plus a little bit more to develop. What I do worry about is the light, and if the light is interesting enough, and changing rapidly enough, I'll most definitely make multiple negatives. In some cases, a *lot* of negatives.

Of course, as the format size goes up, so does cost - substantially.

But still, I'm in this art to, well, make art. I'm definitely not in it to watch pennies.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    At about $.40 a shot for JandC 4x5, I take at least 2 shots and develop one at a time so that I may tweak the development. I am considering going to 3 shots so that I will have at least 2 negatives exposed and developed just the way I want them. A lot easier to dupe them in the camera at the time of the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by KenM
    Shooting 4x5 as I do, I really don't worry about the cost of film. It works out to just under $1 Cdn a sheet, plus a little bit more to develop. What I do worry about is the light, and if the light is interesting enough, and changing rapidly enough, I'll most definitely make multiple negatives. In some cases, a *lot* of negatives.

Of course, as the format size goes up, so does cost - substantially.

But still, I'm in this art to, well, make art. I'm definitely not in it to watch pennies.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Shooting 4x5 colour slide I shoot one sheet per scene. If the lighting is a bit tricky I will shoot one more sheet either under or over my calculated exposure depending on the situation. It can be very satisfying seeing a perfectly exposed transperency on the light table and knowing you got it right in one shot. I find it too expensive to bracket exposures on a regular basis.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    I always shoot two. Trying to save money on film is false economy in my opinion.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Granted ULF film is not cheap, but if you are traveling far from home and may not be back to some fabulous place, film is the cheapest thing on the trip. We have all developed that once-in-a-lifetime shot only to find dust spots, gremlins or whatever have ruined the negative. I don't favor bracketing, and you should hone your Zone System skills so you know what you are going to get before you remove the lens cap. I'm just sacrificing one sheet of film per image to Argus the angry god of photography.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin