Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,305   Online: 935

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I did a quick search and it looks like the back rotates.

The Calumet C series, the cheap E-Bay one I showed you, does have one also.

Like I said, I am a big fan of those cameras....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Shen Hao can be changed from landscape to Portrait format easily. It has a removable rotating groundglass Film holder slot.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    Second variable is the kind of shooting you will be doing. This also will determine the type of camera. If it is for outdoors and you will be hiking, then the calumet is not a good choice. You may want to look into less expensive field cameras such as Shen-Hao. You also need to consider subject with regards to the lenses the camera can use. Bellows extension becomes a factor. If you are not sure then you need a compromise that will cover a variety of subjects.

Think these through and post. You will get a wealth of more specific suggestions and options.
    Jim, after searching through previous post I think your comment best covers the question I have regarding LF camera choices. I currently have a Crown Graphic, but it is some what limited on movements and from many of my recents work (done with 645 I must note) was wondering what is consider a good compromise camera that does not break the bank? One that will function for landscape and some urban landscapes as well (old buildings, etc.). I consider $500-$600 upper limit ... I plan to hang on to the Crown for now to get the basics of LF down, but was wondering what others considered a compromise camera.

On seperate note, currently the Crown has a 135mm lens on it and would be open to suggestions for additional modern (or vintage) lens to add to the camera. Since I do not use the rangefinder on it, but the GG, not worried about cams. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike C

Rambles

There are several articles on our web sit that might be helpful

www.viewcamera.com

Go to the Free Articles section.

Another helpful forum is also on our web site. The links for the forum and the free articles are on the home page

steve simmons

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons
    There are several articles on our web sit that might be helpful

www.viewcamera.com

Go to the Free Articles section.

Another helpful forum is also on our web site. The links for the forum and the free articles are on the home page

steve simmons
    So now you are going to advertize your magazine and your web site forum which just started and has nothing useful in it?...you are really crass...

Images
    Wow. No one advised going straight to 8x10.

If you want more movements than the graphics go with a busch pressman. More movements and tough as a tank. Parts are a bitch to find though, cuz they just don't break. Though I have been seriously lusting after my dad's newer calumet monorail these days. he got it for a real good price on ebay.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Here ar some more references

Books

Using the View Camera that I wrote for Amphoto

Using the View Camera by Jim Stone

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

Decide what features you need from the article called Getting Started in Large Format on our web site and then look foir a camera body that has what you need.

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Go straight to 8x10!

But if you like 4x5, I recently picked up a B&J Press with a Wollensak 135mm Raptar for $85. Tough to beat with revolving back, front tilt and front shift. All metal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started with a Calumet C ($100) and a Wollensak Raptar lens ($35). That and a few used holders got me started for a very small amount of money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin