Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,836   Online: 789

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

getting started in 4x5

I am new to LF and would like to buy a 4x5 but I don't know which brand would be best to start with-any suggestions?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A working Speed Graphic or Crown Graphic is a good choice. Tons out there for under $300.00. Or, if you want something not as portable, get an old Calumet 4x5.

Here is a link to one. Again they are cheap and plentiful.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...828806418&rd=1

I have one. Works great.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Hello Gary,

I just entered the 4x5 world and I went with a Shen-Hao from badgergraphic.com. I bought it about a month ago and it is just a new way of seeing.

You can get a compelte kit for a good price and the camera is really nice! I have no regrets with the camera at all!

http://www.badgergraphic.com/search_product2.asp?x=2594

Again, great camera.

Kev

Shooter
    Large Format
    Best source for info is Q Tuang Luong's Large Format Website 4X5 is an in-between size - generally considered too small for contact printing but of size negative that requires a step-up in enlargers.
    Also check out past issues of View Camera magazine - Sept 2002, January 2003 articles on 4X5 cameras.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Also read the articles on the _View Camera_ magazine website on getting started. I agree with the advice here and over on the LF forum to start with an inexpensive used camera to see what you really want. The Shen-Hao does offer lots of value and flexibility for the money, if you want to start with a new camera and are leaning toward a folding field camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The most important variable in deciding on equipment is your budget. Decide what you are willing to pay for a camera, minimum 6 film holders, one lens to start, tripod, dark cloth, and a meter (unless you have a 35mm slr which can sub for a meter). Why is this most important? Because your options range from buying cameras as David suggested with a lens for as little as $250 on Ebay to buying newer and more versatile equipment. Graphics are wonderful cameras (I own 2) but have limitations. Older Calumet 4x5s ("C" series from the 50s and 60s) have full movements, rotating back but are monorails and heavy. However they are built like a tank are inexpensive and plentiful. This is the camera I started out with for LF.

Second variable is the kind of shooting you will be doing. This also will determine the type of camera. If it is for outdoors and you will be hiking, then the calumet is not a good choice. You may want to look into less expensive field cameras such as Shen-Hao. You also need to consider subject with regards to the lenses the camera can use. Bellows extension becomes a factor. If you are not sure then you need a compromise that will cover a variety of subjects.

Think these through and post. You will get a wealth of more specific suggestions and options.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have offered the same advice a number of times. Rent a view or field camera for a weekend from a local camera retailer before you buy anything. Large format is not for everyone. You can get a good deal on used equipment if you decide that LF is right for you. Rushing to buy equipment can be expensive and disappointing. Better to learn a little before you leap in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A family friend gave me an old Super Graphic that he had used twenty years earlier. Luckily it came with everything so I had an easy start. It is not easy to adjust to the slower, more methodical pace of using LF cameras if you're used to firing off shots with an AF 35mm, but once you see those HUGE negatives you'll see why we love them. I like my Supergraphic and would recommend once for starters, especially since you can find them complete on Ebay. You can still buy the film holders etc. If you need more.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Gary

I brought my first large format 4x5 outfit earlier this year. The camera I purchased is the Shen Hao wooden field camera. This is one of the most inexpensive new 4x5 cameras available. I have been very pleased with this camera. It is well built and finished, reasonably sturdy and has the most comprehensive camera movements of any of the budget price 4x5 models. The photographs of the Shen Hao on the net do not do it justice, it really is a nicely finished camera.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images

revolving back?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Jaques
    Hi Gary

I brought my first large format 4x5 outfit earlier this year. The camera I purchased is the Shen Hao wooden field camera. This is one of the most inexpensive new 4x5 cameras available. I have been very pleased with this camera. It is well built and finished, reasonably sturdy and has the most comprehensive camera movements of any of the budget price 4x5 models. The photographs of the Shen Hao on the net do not do it justice, it really is a nicely finished camera.
    Robert,
    Can the format be changed from landscape to portrait & vice versa or is it fixed? Thanks.

ElrodCod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin