Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,129   Online: 1190

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 1/4" Whitworth thread is very similar but not identical to the American 1/4 - 20 thread. They are both 20 threads per inch but there is a five degree difference in cutting angle.

In most cases they are interchangeable but if you are making something yourself which is a bit heavier than a standard camera, it would make sense to get a proper Whitworth thread so you get full face to face contact with the threads rather than an edge contact only.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A US 1/4" nut won't fit a 1/4" Whitworth bolt, it'll bind. But a US 1/4" bolt will fit a 1/4" threaded bolt or tripod socket, butb not a good idea for a heavy camera.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was thinking about the DIY camera makers who use a 1/4 x 20 threaded insert as a tripod mount. It does work this way round and although not ideal is o.k. for lightweight cameras. However, the other way round will not fit too well as you rightly point out.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have number of Ries tripods, 'A's 'B's 'C's Junior's you get the point. The head for the 'A' is 3/8ths I use it for the 11x14 and 8x10. The model 'B' great size is for the 5x7 and 4x5 it has a 1/4-20 head, just fine. The small stuff is all 1/4-20 on all the rest. This just works for me.

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For strength the other factor would be the flat bearing area on the bottom of the camera, and the matching area on top of the tripod. The larger the surface, the smaller the lever factor against the tripod screw, because the edge of the bearing surface is farther from the screw.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Many tripods don't (& can't) use a 3/8" thread these days and adding an adaptor is adding a weaker link.

Ian
    I don't think that 'weaker link' is significant. Let's take one of the major tripod manufacturers as an example. Manfrotto tripods rely on an adapter system. Their tripod stands feature a 3/8" thread onto which you add an adjustable tripod head of your choice. Their heads feature a 1/4" for the smaller models (roughly 2-6 kg, some 8 kg of max load) and both 1/4" and 3/8" for the larger models (6-12 kg of max load). Apparently, they also increase the thread size with the size and weight of the camera and lens, but accomodate for cameras limited to the 1/4" thread.

I would stay away from tripods limited to 1/4" threads.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I would stay away from tripods limited to 1/4" threads.
    That means staying away from most modern tripods

I'd be more inclined to be worried about the overall build quality of the tripod itself.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Many tripods don't (& can't) use a 3/8" thread these days and adding an adaptor is adding a weaker link.

Ian
    I'm using a QR plate that offers both a 1/4 and 3/8 screw. And isn't bigger better.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have just had a look at my three tripods. The first, an aluminium set of legs with no name (the sticker has come off!) has a 1/4" male thread onto which is mounted a Manfrotto 115 three way head which has a 3/8" thread with a reducer fitted.

My Velbon tripod and Velbon head have the same reducer arrangement but my old Linhof tripod inherited from my father is 3/8" all the way.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That means staying away from most modern tripods

I'd be more inclined to be worried about the overall build quality of the tripod itself.

Ian
    No, it doesn't. I get both with my Manfrotto tripods.

What brands are you referring to when you say 'most modern tripods'?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin