Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,704   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

1/4" 20t or 3/8" 16t

Does anyone know, I'm not sure this has been addressed here, why the European thread standard for camera sockets and tripod studs are 3/8" 16 threads per inch while US is 1/4" 20 threads per inch?

Doesn't Europe use the Metric System for fasteners? Why aren't the tripod sockets say 12mm in Europe?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both sizes are European standards, neither originated in America.

1/4" 20 threads per inch tripod sockets must have a very close Metric equivalence, as must the 3/8" 16, both were common on pre-WWII German cameras, and Britis camera. The 3/8th thread was more common on larger cameras,

My 2 Patent Etui's are the larger thread and one came with a pre-WWII tripod the ball head being 3/8th thread.

Both sizes are BSW - British Standard Whitworth, and are accepted as the international standards for tripod mounts.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-18-2010 at 06:37 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Does anyone know, I'm not sure this has been addressed here, why the European thread standard for camera sockets and tripod studs are 3/8" 16 threads per inch while US is 1/4" 20 threads per inch?

Doesn't Europe use the Metric System for fasteners? Why aren't the tripod sockets say 12mm in Europe?

Curt
    Curt

I think this is more a small vs large camera issue. Both threads are used in Europe and in the US. I'm not aware of any metric tripod threads, probably for historic reasons.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may also be because until 1841 there was no standard of thread sizes, Whitworth's standard was the first.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    American national standard for photography (cameras)--tripod connections for heavy-duty or imported cameras (3/8-inch-16 thread with adapter for 1/4-inch-20 tripod screws)
    Type of Work:Non-dramatic literary work
    Registration Number / Date:TX0002049520 / 1987-04-09

Date of Publication December 7, 1983

Date of Creation:1983

Title:American national standard for photography (cameras)--tripod connections for heavy-duty or imported cameras (3/8-inch-16 thread with adapter for 1/4-inch-20 tripod screws) : A N S I PH3.102-1983.

Basis of Claim:New Matter: "new, revised, and updated material throughout."

Previous Registration:Prev. reg. 1953 as American national standard tripod connections for heavy-duty or European cameras, 3/8-inch-16 thread with adapter for 1/4-inch-20 tripod screws, A N S I PH3.7-1952.

Variant title:American national standard for photography (cameras)--tripod connections for heavy-duty or imported cameras

Other Title:American national standard tripod connections for heavy-duty or European cameras
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://sitemaker.umich.edu/hist-stan...cordID=1542647

http://www.mattwardman.com/blog/2007...ishop-in-1668/

Just digging around, now why are surveyors tripods equipped with 5/8 11 studs and is this universal, are they that way in Europe and why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That''ll be already superseded by later ISO standards :rolleyes:

The US adopted the Whitworth standard back in the 1840's, as in the UK other standards also came into use later.

These tripod standards are as old as photography, and no ASA, ANSI,DIN, BS or ISO has actually changed the standards, just re-witten the same thing with a new standard number.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format

Just digging around, now why are surveyors tripods equipped with 5/8 11 studs and is this universal, are they that way in Europe and why?
    I'd say it's to handle the weight of the surveying equipment and make sure they are securely attached. Tripods are usually carried from position to position with the equipment attached.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I'd say it's to handle the weight of the surveying equipment and make sure they are securely attached. Tripods are usually carried from position to position with the equipment attached.
    Or else, it's to frustrate photographers looking for sturdy, cheap tripods at the home centers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://sitemaker.umich.edu/hist-stan...cordID=1542647

http://www.mattwardman.com/blog/2007...ishop-in-1668/

As I said, It's a size and weight consideration.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin