Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,967   Online: 944

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    In any case, you know what is wonderful about APUG? The ignore list. Use it, you will grow less tired....
    I totally agree, APUG has been a lot more fun for me since I started using the ignore list.
    hi!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Eric. I was about to post and request that Jorge and Steve not hijack this thread and take it off course. They can use private messages or start another thread for that if they choose.

I am really interested in this new Cooke lens and would just like to discuss it with the knowledgable people in this group. I wasn't attacking VC or Gordon, but I was disappointed in the review's lack of quantitative technical content and I was wondering if other people felt the same way and could offer something along those lines. I did get back some helpful comments from members and I hope others will jump in with info or comments. Perhaps VC will address the lens again soon with a more technical slant and comape the lens against modern lenses at all 3 focal lengths. I'm sure I am not the only one excited that a lens manufacturer like Cooke is not only not abandoning the LF market, but is actuallly releasing new products. I think it's great and I'd like to support them by buying their products, but I won't buy it as a 'novelty' piece, I need it to perform as I would want to use it in the field.

Does anyone know anything about the availability of the lens? I understand the first production run was only 50 lenses and has sold out. True? Are more on the way?

Thanks.

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you want some input into what Cooke is producing, check out the Cooke thread at www.f32.net. Barbara Lowry from Cooke Optics is following it, and seems genuinely interested in what people have to say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    this is a copy of the email Per sent me when he was testing the portrait lens. While it is not the triple you will see some of his photos while using a cooke lens. I have to wade through my old email to fine the one he did for the convertible.

Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 20:04:39 -0700
    To: volquartz@volquartz.com
    From: "Per Volquartz" <volquartz@volquartz.com> View Contact Details
    Subject: Cooke PS945 first test...

- never thought I wanted to purchase a soft lens! After all these years using Dagors, Apo Nikkors, Artars, Apo Sironars, etc. it never seemed that interesting to use a lens that was primarily designed for portraiture.

Well, I was surprised!

This particular lens gives a unique image quality, especially in BW, and processing negs. in Pyro. For years I have been searching for ways to create images that have a silvery, luminous quality.

Now all I have to do is convince Becky, my wife that $3000 for this lens is worth every penny. An uphill battle perhaps but patience usual prevails...besides I don't need a new car anyway...

Per

Here is the first shot of a scene with limited depth. During the next week or so I will explore additional subject matter with more scene depth. This should make the smoothness of the out-of-focus areas more apparent...

And oh yes, while the color rendition of this lens is great
    I prefer the BW image by far...

http://www.volquartz.com/cooketests/bwpep1.html

http://www.volquartz.com/cooketests/colpep1.html

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    If you want some input into what Cooke is producing, check out the Cooke thread at www.f32.net. Barbara Lowry from Cooke Optics is following it, and seems genuinely interested in what people have to say.
    That is a great link, thanks David. Also, Clive Russ has some info on the lens and a few pictures taken with it. You can see it at:

www.cliveruss.com

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Whoa!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's interesting to see this thread come up (the original post, that is). I, too, had a similar reaction to the review of the Cooke XVa. In fact, after reading it a couple of weeks ago I made the comment to a friend that the article seemed more like an advertisement for the Cooke than it did a review. Perhaps the author was simply bowled over by the lens' performance. Nevertheless the overall tone was more along the lines of an "info-mercial". Certainly the bit about limited supply and the implication of possibly missing out on purchasing one if you wait too long only diminished the credibility of the review.

Nevertheless I do hope that Mr. Hutchings' glowing remarks about the lens are a reasonably accurate assessment of its true performance. Time will tell. And perhaps someday I'll be able to try one, too. I think it's wonderful that Cooke is making the effort to cater to such a miniscule market. Large format photography deserves all the support it can get.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

I have one...

I received my new Cooke Triple Convertible in Early July. I purchased it from Badger Graphic and was fortunate to order it back in April. When I first received it and opened it, I was thrilled at the looks of the lens. The coating is like no other that I have owned or currently own. The lens is beautiful.

My main purpose for the lens was to be able to lighten my backpack(assuming I don't need to give up quality). I have made around 20 negatives so far. I am quite pleased with the ease of use and the fact that I can cut out two lenses out of my bag (fuji 450c and fuji 600).

The negatives look great. I am not an optical scientist. I contact print black and white negs. I intend to set up test shoot using the Cooke and comparing it to my Nikkor 300m, Fuji 450c and the Fuji 600.

When focusing the lens, it looks good wide open. Looking at the prints I have made with the Cooke, they look quite pleasing....I need to do a side-by-side comparison with the above mentioned lenses.

So far, I am very happy with the Cooke. When I get around to doing my test, I will post the results.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    I totally agree, APUG has been a lot more fun for me since I started using the ignore list.

How does one turn on the Ignore List? I can not seem to navigate to the area on apug.org that activates the list.

Also, how does it work? Does it ignore discret threads by individuals or can one turn off entire topics?

Sandy

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sandy,
    This may be what you want. On the main page under (just checked and you can get there from here) top of the page "Member Links" open that and there is a buddy/ignore list. Look there and see if that will work for you.

lee\c

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin