Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,098   Online: 920

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

My new Gossen Starlite-2

I know that there is a lot of threads on these light meters, but I just wanted to give my two cents (US). I have had just about every spot meter there is out there. I have 3 now and like them all, but two are Zone VI meter and one Pentax. I was reading Black and White photography mag. from UK, (you guys know how to put a mag together), and they had a article on meters and all seem great but what got my eye was the Gossen which can be used with the Zone system. I did some further research and got very excited about the meter. Went on e-bay to find that no one had used, (I didn't know till later it was introduced two years ago.) so I went to B&H and found that the price was much higher than I thought it would be. Since I sold all my Pentax 67 and lens I have some extra money and made the commitment. This will be one of the few new items I have purchased as photo equipment goes. after a couple of days of working with it I have found that it fits my style using my 8x10 and 8x20 camera. I can easily see how my developing is going to be done and making notations easy. I know so many feel the sekonic is a better meter but I have had their best and fought all the time to translate into the Zone system. I live and die by the zone system and have for almost 40 years and change now is not going to happen. take a good look at this meter and I think you will be convinced it is the one for Large format photographers.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think you'll be very happy - I was tossing up between the Starlite and the Sekonic 758DR, and went with the Sekonic for the flash triggering, but really, I would have been super happy with either. They are ace meters!!

Marc!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Gossen Ultra Spot II that I saved forever to buy when I was in college, it was ungodly expensive new, like $700 12 yrs ago! It also has a built in Zone System mode, which is why I got it despite the HIGH price and extremely large size. In the end I found the zone mode cumbersome in the extreme and I just used it normally and did the zone calculations in my head.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No experiences to share here, just want to broadcast my lust for this meter. Oh yes.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have shot 10 sheets of film with the meter and it seems to be 2 stops different than
    My zone iv meter. I'm out of town today taking my 2 kids to college but plan on taking back roads home a 6-8 hour drive. I hoping for more shots to try out my meter. Problem with this whole thing, I have not developed anything from this meter so I could have a whole bunch of under exposed negatives. The good thing is I develop by inspection so I can do Inspection so increase development is not a problem. Just the shadow detail may be lost. We'll see. This is much easier to use than the sekonic by far. Much less bulky than the of meters I have. Mike
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin